Wednesday, December 2, 2009

TOO much PIE!!

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend filled with fun and family in Illinois. We set out last Wednesday for the long weekend and made some new, wonderful memories. It's the first trip to Granny's that Caden can remember making it SOOO exciting for our little guy. He couldn't believe Granny had so many beds in the basement and he got to pick his own. Dawn, Jassen & Dakota drove up for the day which was great, too!
Of course, the food was fabulous... Granny and Aunt Patti made at least 10 different pies. Of course, I had to try them all! Pumpkin, cherry, blackberry, chocolate meringue, lemon meringue, cherry custard, coconut cream, coconut cream meringue, plain custard... so yummy and beautiful!! I think the Thanksgiving table was set for 32... quite the crowd!
I really enjoyed catching up with my best friend from 2nd grade who lives just 30 or so minutes away. It was a short, but nice visit!
We all got to experience a little farming- getting up and riding on a combine in the corn fields. What a cool thing... really, I LOVED it... could have been a farmer's wife for sure.
The big boys got to go hunting with dad and Grandpa and even killed a few quails. No, I'm not cooking them. Jim brought them home, says they taste like chicken... I'm not so sure I'll try it.

Somehow, Jim got out of Marissa buying Pa's old truck from Granny. I think this truck will be the 4th or 5th with his license plate- LAST ONE. It's an old Grandpa truck- the boys all LOVE it... especially Caden. He was so excited to clean it out. Pa called him Whitey, I think I might refer to him as Rusty.

Saturday, we drove down to Grandpa and Grandma Behl's house to pick up Grandma Shellene. Grandma made the best lunch... meatloaf, scalloped potatoes... yes, I'm sure I put on some weight. Can't beat Granny/Grandma cooking- love it!
All in all... wonderful weekend. The boys will be doing extra conditioning (probably for a month) for basketball since family trips are unexcused absences.... can't say I agree with that. Oh well!

Happy December!!!

2 comments:

The Dickey Family said...

Looks like everyone had fun! Where did Granny seat everyone? It amazes me how much they do to cook for such a crowd!
Take care and have a good December!

Mac and Starr said...

Looks like you all had a good time! Wish we could've been there with you guys!