Sunday, January 9, 2011

H E I D E L B E R G {schloss}

This is the whole castle... a picture I got online...
It's still hard to believe we're living in the midst of so much history. Just driving through our village, I am reminded daily that the things we've already seen in our short, short time here are older than anything I've ever seen or experienced. I wonder as I look at the old beat-up houses how long they've been standing. Up until now, I've never been too interested in history. I don't remember dates well and memorization is especially difficult for me.  For these reasons, history classes in school generally didn't keep my attention. As hard as I tried to focus on what my {monotone} teachers and professors were lecturing, my mind routinely wandered off to another places thinking about other things. Why are so many history teachers so dry and boring, or did I just get lucky enough to get them all? On the contrary, I love reading historical fiction. Mix a little history with a good story to keep my attention and I not only can follow it, I can remember what I've read and enjoy it! Being able to tour these landmarks, touch the stone walls, walk the cobblestone walkways- the best kind of history lesson!         
We decided to check out Heidelberg for a quick half-day trip. The sky was blue and clear with the temperature close to 60 degrees. It's a short drive east on the Autobahn- pretty fast when certain stretches have no speed limit. Jim hit 90mph and we still had cars cruising past us. Heidelberg Castle is the city's best-known symbol. The massive fortress has loomed over Heidelberg and the Neckar River since the Middle Ages. It has inspired tributes from many writers and painters including Mark Twain. Part of the castle was destroyed after being struck by lightening. Our timing wasn't the best to be able to take the tour {in English}, but we did pay for admission to walk around. The view was breathtaking- the city, river below, bridge and the beautiful churches. At one spot we stopped to look and take pictures, a bat even flew out of a window. Boys thought that was pretty cool- a real bat and a real castle. I'm sure we'll be back!

** We finally found Caden's cleats... he wore them all day yesterday and still has them on today... he's making sure I got them in this bottom photo...
Before leaving, Jim took the boys to the bathroom {WC} only to find out they charge 50 Euro cents to use... about 65 cents USD each. Again, it's beautiful but definitely not cheap living or traveling in this country!
** click on photos to enlarge, I know they're small... took too many!

No comments: