Saturday, November 27, 2010

Anlieger FREI... residents ONLY


One of these days, I know we'll laugh about our first weeks in Germany... I just know {hope} we will! I'm trying to be optimistic, really I am. The other day, while on a quick trip to a new friend's house, we made a wrong {seriously wrong} turn. Looked like a normal road for a minute- the roads here are all super narrow, so the fact that it was super skinny and lacked a dotted line down the middle didn't tip us off. We passed an old man (completely white hair) on an old, old bike casually strolling. Many, many people were out walking as well with their dogs. Again, nothing unusual since everyone here walks their dogs. Doesn't matter if it's raining, snowing or winter- they take their walks.

It wasn't until we were a few miles down the road that we realized we were actually driving on a {b i k e} trail, rather than a real road. Oops. No wonder we received a few scowls. I'm sure they were saying, "stupid Americans..."
We went back to look at the signs- I knew frei meant free, but when I translated (Google translator is wonderful) Anlieger Frei... together it means Residents ONLY... slight difference. We were just happy that we got off of the 2nd turn of the round-a-bout... or we thought we did. Guess I should be studying all of these signs so I can take my driver's test... Jim took his in Kansas before getting here, so he's been driving us everywhere. Have to admit- I'm a little nervous, kinda like being 16 again.

1 comment:

Deb said...

OMG! I am laughing with you on this one. Come on now. You know you were laughing when you figured out what was going on. I am going to rely on you two to do all the driving when we come to see you. I am not even going to try to figure it out. I have troubles driving in the good ol' USA sometimes.

Love you all and hope you have more fun tomorrow. lol!