Monday, August 10, 2009

An Abundance

I feel so blessed. While growing up, we used to have Christmas Eve every year with our family friends, The Jensens'. For some reason, one of the things that I remember most (besides the kids having to eat at the fireplace on the floor...) was the cucumbers she had cut up in the salad. Not a fancy salad, but I remember LOVING the taste of the cucumbers and thinking they had to be SO expensive! Yes, produce in Alaska is expensive but even worse it usually just doesn't taste like fresh produce. I feel I've come full circle now having more cucumbers than we can eat. We just send Ty around the neighborhood to see if anyone else wants any!
Needless to say, I love cucumbers and am THRILLED that for the last month, I can just go out to our garden every day and pick as many as I want to! Tyler and I eat at least 2-3 a night and I can't imagine ever being sick of them! Small pleasure, I know! Yesterday, Jim and I went out to pick some veges and I was so excited with what we found- sweet corn, green beans, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers,green peppers... I'm already plotting our garden for next year! Salad anyone?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, all the veggies look so tastey. Fresh is always the BEST!! What time should I be there for dinner? I just had tomatoes & hot peppers this year, that my brother surprised me with. But next year... :-)

Love,
Pam

Jody Cooper Photography said...

:) very nice lady!

Jody Cooper Photography said...

:) very nice lady!