Friday, April 18, 2008

My Arthritis Work Out

I finally did it. After wanting to join our local YMCA for months, I finally took the tour and wrote the check. It's a beautiful facility just up the street, with a water park outside that looks like too much fun. Childcare is less than $5 a week... that's for 2 hrs each day! Can't beat that.

Over the last several months, I've been wanting to work out. I've had so much motivation.

1. I love watching The Biggest Loser. Justin and Ty love to do push-ups on commercials while they're watching TV. I don't know where they got the idea to do that, but they've been doing it for years. I prefer to sit (or better yet lay) in bed while eating my black cherry frozen yogurt or ice cream.

2. My sister just ran a half marathon. Half, or whole... I'm super impressed! 13 miles... only in my dreams. I am so proud of her, and really admire her for being in top shape!

3. I read about the miles and miles and miles and miles that my best friends growing up- Krista and Traci, swim. They both have kids... Traci has 4 and Krista has 5... and they still make the time to work out. Not only that, they usually do it at 5 or 6am!! That's about the time I'm finally getting my REM sleep, I'm sure.

4. Track meets are great. They're long, but so enjoyable to watch- especially since I get to watch my kids compete. I know I didn't do track in high school because I HATED to run, but I don't know why I didn't ever watch track meets. My brother Seth was an amazing track star, and I keep telling Justin and Ty they're on the right "track" to do phenomenal things. Watching these kids almost makes me want to take up running.

5. I want to be skinny again for my hubby! More than skinny, I want to be toned and lose the flab that I gained with having babies. I'd love to get back in to the bikini I wore one of our 1st trips we took to Vegas. For now, it will remain buried in my drawer!

Yesterday, after taking the big tour and signing the papers to join, I looked over the classes available. Being a little timid, I decided to start out slow and try out the Arthritis Water Work Out. Couldn't be to bad and it's still a 1-hour water work out, right? I thought I was being brave by getting in to a swimsuit and taking the plunge. Needless to say, I was the youngest in the class by probably 50 years. It was good for a laugh, maybe good for my self-esteem, but I think I'll move up the pace a little today. Maybe, I'll try the real water aerobics or even a step class... something to get my heart rate up.

6 comments:

Mac and Starr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mac and Starr said...

You crack me up! I could've told you that a class called, "Arthritis Water Workout" you'd be a little too advanced! hahaha Well, good I'm glad you realize now you're ready for the adult class! I'm proud of you, it takes a lot of time and commitment to get back into it! Way to go.

Anonymous said...

I love the YMCA and I hope you'll find something that you'll really like to do. That's the key. Have fun!

Dana said...

Hey, check out Sparkpeople.com - its a fitness, nutrition, motivation site that I joined and best of all it is FREE. Helps keep me going. Advice from a trainer: baby steps.

Krista said...

You're so funny. Your Y has an outdoor water park? Lucky! Now next time we see each other we can go to the Y together. Just like old times in Mr. Wilson's weight training class. Remember?

Unknown said...

Hey -- I'd take that class with you! We'd have a great time! Love ya, girl!