Wednesday, September 15, 2010

a FOOTBALL mom


I was just told there's no crying in football. I'm not really an emotional mom. I feel emotion, the tears just rarely flow. I never came close to crying when my boys started kindergarten, middle school or even high school. I don't think I've ever cried at any event that any of them has been in... but, for some reason football season this year is messing with my emotions... They've only had two home games, but I've just about lost it both games.
Justin's a junior, and earned a starting position on varsity. Mulvane's a football town- Friday night is what it's all about. I just can't believe I have a kid who's finally playing in the big game. Years of practice, tears, sweat, dirty uniforms, injuries, pain, weights, Gatorade and tons of work...
When I walk in the stadium and hear the band, the chills start and tears well up. I think I've realized for me it's bigger than football- it's my little guy growing up. As a young mom of 20 when Justin was born and 21 when I had Ty, in a way, I feel like I've grown up with them. I had to- through my mistakes, they were my world. I just can't believe how wonderful it is to have boys!
At the end of every game, win or loose, they sing the school fight song together... so much Mulvane pride- love it!

3 comments:

Mac and Starr said...

Ahhh...I wish I was there to watch him play!!! Looks like so much fun!

Unknown said...

You're about to make me cry. Tammy

The Dickey Family said...

I understand about the growing up with our kids. I had Blake at 20 to and Lauren at 23. Our mothers were even younger than that(16!) Wow...these years are going by so fast. I am just treasuring them as much as possible. Taking it all in sometimes brings tears of joy. I am very proud of our kids and I know you are proud of yours as well. Take care and I enjoyed reading your blog today.
Love,
Jen