Monday, May 7, 2012

drive-by Nürnberg

I was so excited for this weekend.
It's not just any day you can wake up, get in the car and drive a couple hours and have so many options of places to visit.
Where to go?

Munich?
Berlin?
Or, what about heading over to the Czech border to Prague?

We were that far east in such a short time. This weekend, we stayed in Germany.

A reminder of how centrally located in Europe we are. I had to pinch myself.

The boys had a track meet scheduled 3 1/2 hours east in Vilseck.

Their schedule this year has been on the road. If we want to see them- we have to drive! I don't care how much you love your kid- that's a long way to drive just for a meet.

It's especially long to drive just for Justin to finish throwing in his events only to be finished by 2:00.

So, the plan was to stop and tour Nürnberg on our way home. A friend of ours {and wife of Coleman's ball coach} is German and from this city loaded with history and charm.

I even did my homework and asked her the top spots to visit.

I was all ready.
I was extremely excited.
We'd have lunch, find some ice cream, see a few cathedrals, hike to a castle and take in some history.

Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate with us this weekend. After standing in the rain for the track meet, we stayed in the van until we returned home.

We drove through the downtown part of the city, but it was too miserable to get out and see anything. I ended up with a couple mediocre drive-by shots.

It will remain on my list of places to spend time. What we did see of this super old, walled city was absolutely beautiful.

On a positive note, Justin placed first in disc- furthest throw of all Europe track meets this weekend. He also placed second in shot.

Not a bad weekend for him considering the rain. They were soaked. We all were!

No comments: