Monday, March 5, 2012

so many K I D S

Talking to my mom this afternoon, she said I was sounding a little European. I laughed. I guess living here for what, around 500 days now, I guess at the least I should sound a little German.

I was super excited to find a vacation apartment for rent that included sheets and towels.

Crazy, I know. That's just how it is here!

Spring Break is a big thing here.
We are, of course living in Europe with so many destinations SO close.

How can you not get out and travel? Knowing we wouldn't be making the family trip to the Canary Islands {$7000 USD quote} or a nice cruise around Greece {around $1000 USD per person} there are still a zillion options and I refuse to stay home for that entire week in April!

We're ready to go!

The search has been on. With so many destinations high on my list of places to see, I asked Justin where he would like most to go since he is the first to return to the US and will miss out on our European travels.

His response, "Wherever we go, I think it will be fun."
How can a mom wish for any more than that? I'm telling you- boys are kind of wonderful.

So, along with a friend- we've been scouring all of Germany for hotels in an attempt to finalize plans for Spring Break for our two families to spend together.

Europe is crazy and difficult.

Finding hotels for a family of six- almost impossible. I just laugh looking at them. It's as if we have a ton of kids- most places have their largest room available for 2 kids. Such a different culture.

My friend and I narrowed it down to either Amsterdam or the Black Forest- searching both areas for lodging. I found this hotel in the Black Forest for about $510 for two nights, but that's for only 3 people. Check out the extras:

All children from 4 to 12 years are charged EUR 5 per night per person for extra beds.
One older child or adult is charged EUR 15 per night and person in an extra bed.
Maximum capacity of extra beds in a room is 4.

Crazy... that would be maybe $300+ a night.

So, a popular option for those of us with more than one kid is to rent an apartment. Lots of options and the prices are much lower. I'm almost settled on one, but look at a few of the other options I found:

Here's a response I got from one in Strassbourg, France... {direct quote, no joke}

Thanks for your message; The flat is available for the dates you choose, but it will be a little "just" for so many people ! How old are the children ? There are only 3 sleeping-rooms and a living where it is possible to sleep...Please give me exactly the number of nights you will stay and I make you an offer.
Best regards
D.MT

Nope, we're not going there.

Here's another one closer to Cologne. Nothing fancy, either. I was shocked at their prices- not the base price, but check out all of the extras. They're no joke here.  

Hi Sheila,
 
No problem. House is still available from Easter Sunday (8 April) until 12 April.
And the house has got 5 bedrooms. So no problem to accommodate 5 adults and 5 children.Rental price is 75 Euro for 2 adults together/night and 25 Euro per extra adult/night and 15 Euro/night for every child. So in total for 4 nights it will be 900 Euro. {that's about $1200 USD for 4 nights- $300/night}
 
Please take into account that on top of the rental fee we do charge a fee for bedding, towels and cleaning of 10 Euro per person independent of duration of stay. Of course, the house has to be left in the same condition and "broom clean" (ie. reasonably clean and tidy, as if swept out with a broom), but still the place has to be prepared for the next guests, bed sheets and towels will have to be exchanged etc. That is the reason for charging that fee.
 
We also ask for a deposit of 100 Euro to cover any potential damages and consumption of water, gas and electricity. The remainder will of course be refunded. The cost of the consumption of water, electricity and gas (for heating) can be exactly calculated and checked anytime, thanks to the meters installed. It is 1.6050 Euro per m3 water, 0.2444 Euro per kWh for electricity (power) and 0.06128 Euro per kWh (1m3=9.94465 kWh) for gas.
 
Best regards,
Eckart

As I responded to Herr Eckart and let him know this wouldn't work for us, he wrote back:
 
Thanks for your quick response. I am sorry that it is too expensive for you, but a whole house with 5 bedrooms and a garden in a good location has got its price. I do hope you will find something suitable for your needs.
 
Best regards,
Eckart Bierduempel
 
At least he was nice. Don't get me wrong. $300 a night is fine if you're getting a nice, high-end Hyatt or Hilton hotel.These are just plain, ole' apartments.
 
My search is on...

No comments: