Saturday, November 17, 2012

C O C H E M castle

I love castles. My boys might not be as enthusiastic as their mama when it comes to castles, but I think I might have to get them to a few more.

Anyone and everyone who comes to visit, I have no problem taking you to a few of our favorites!

With our last couple days with Neal and Cheryl, we made a day trip to Cochem Castle and another to Trier.

Unfortunately, Jim was back at work, so we waited until the kids left for school and headed out on our day trip.

While we have been to Trier, I had not been to Cochem. It did not disappoint- we loved it.
The drive was supposed to be an hour or so. With the crazy GPS leading us, it ended up being closer to two hours.

A downpour on the way home made it that much more exciting.
Cochem is an astounding little city on the Moselle River.
The 1,000-year old castle is amazing. The view and city were even more impressive to me. In the heart of wine country, the vines were full and grapes were beautiful.

Walking around, it all felt postcard-perfect for pictures. The thought continually ran through my head of how absolutely beautiful it was in this region.  
We took the castle tour with a cute lady armed with a great sense of humor. It was one of the best tours I've taken in the few castles we have been to. Delightful!

On our walk back down to the car, we ducked out of the rain in a little cafe for a bowl of German goulasch soup.
I'm not a soup lover, but it was absolutely delicious. Don't forget the bread. Yum.

I'm ready to go back!

No comments: