Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A little disciplined?

Yesterday was my cleaning day. Not because I always clean on Mondays, or it was on the calendar. Caden was my reason. He decided to empty a tube of Spiderman blue gel toothpaste all over the bathroom. Why does he have to torture me? I think he should about be past the point of these messes. For some reason, we think he's going to be the cause of many headaches to come...

I'm always asking friends how they stay organized and keep up with a household of kids. I'm fascinated with organization, but can't seem to stay organized and on top of it all of the time. In Jr. High, a good friend's mom (Carinne) once said Thursdays were her shopping day. At least, I think it was Thursday. I remember distinctly thinking I was going to be like that when I had a house and kids. I love the idea of the routine and the same thing every week. I just don't do it.
A couple of weeks ago, I got to catch up with best friends I've had since 2nd grade. Of course, I ask how they keep up with kids and keep their houses clean. Krista said Mondays are her day. I thought a lot about this. Maybe Mondays could be my day. When we got home, I told Jim how much I'd love to have a routine like that. He quickly and lovingly said something to the effect of, "Oh honey, you'll never stick to that... you're not that disciplined." I didn't take it negatively, because he is right. My husband knows me pretty well. I feel like I clean all the time, but never on the same day. The idea of a schedule sounds great but yes, he's right it's probably a little too routine for me. On the same note, I do pretty well at budgeting, but don't tell me I can only spend so much... it's too much pressure. I guess I just can't handle the commitment.

So for now, I'll keep on changing our sheets every 5 or 6 days, or when they're a little too wrinkled... cleaning bathrooms here and there which is about every 3 days... and vacuuming when I get the energy up for it. I think I'm a little disciplined even if it's not on a calendar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have all the right excuses, though. I don't even have kids and still don't have time to clean! It's all a vicious cycle. Wouldn't it be great if we all had an Alice from the Brady Bunch...Where do you get one of those?

Anonymous said...

When we lived in a duplex and only had two kids I had a set cleaning day. It only took an hour or so because the place was so small. I didn't know how easy I had it! When we moved to our home I was overwhelmed because I couldn't even come close to keeping that same schedule. I stressed myself out. Now I just do the best I can. I usually wait til the kitchen floor needs a good mopping. That usually gets me on a roll to do everything else and then it takes me a couple of days to get it all done. As for laundry, I wash everyday, but folding is a different story. I still haven't found a way to keep up!