Wednesday, February 22, 2012

t r e a s u r e s

We endulged in delicious food, but also found some treasures along the way.

I don't consider myself very sentimental.

I'm also not a collector of very much. I don't do spoons or magnets or stamps or dolls.

That's not saying I don't like to spend money, I just usually am way too practical and am not drawn to extra things or old things- especially dishes or things I have to find a place to store them.

Until now.

I really like the look of modern and clean mixed with simple, antique pieces with tons of charm.

I especially like the crown on this jar...
I do like pens and paper- that's probably as close as I have to a collection of anything which isn't saying much.

I feel like I have enough to clean up and pick up without extra things everywhere. But, I might be changing- a little.

We found some cool stuff. I could get used to this flea-market style shopping through the dust to find the treasures. I loved it. Everything is old over here- how can I not shop for antiques?

Of course, the questions kept going through my mind... when am I going to be back here?

Will I regret not picking up a few of these things while living in Europe?

I didn't buy much, but a few fun things. I plan to find more- lots more.

At our first stop, we found these slate-ish, light blue serving bowls.

I immediately thought about my grandma- not sure what she had or why, but I love the color. And, I don't normally like anything blue.

We each picked up a couple. They're not old, or antique or even a one-of-a kind item, but I liked them. Plus, they're from France, right?

For now, it will hold pears and sit on the counter so I can look at it. Kind of simple, super cheap. Fun find.
While I don't have a collection {yet}, I'm really drawn to old glass. I love old blue Mason jars that you can see the bubbles in the glass. Here, they have the antique green thistle and apothecary jars. We found a few and I love them.

The little one was less than $2.The others around $6 each- can't pass that up? I can find that at the bottom of the washer in a week's time.

Up next, I'm on a mission to find big bottles.

I'm in love with these Pottery Barn oversized wine bottles. They're $99 - $279 online. The description online says, "Purchased from a collector who carefully selected them from restaurants throughout Central Europe, these vintage glass bottles were once used to store wine or sunflower oil."

Here, a friend found a really cool one- very similar to these for 15 Euro- just less than $20. What a deal. I'm thinking since we're in Central Europe- I definitely need to bring a few back.

Aren't they just lovely? The search is on.

1 comment:

Mac and Starr said...

I LOVE those from Pottery Barn!! I saw them a while ago but couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of $ though. Love your new finds!