Thursday, April 26, 2012

H I G H ropes course

The end of our time in the Black Forest had arrived.

After our rodelbahn run and dinner at the house, Jim and I packed up the little guys and headed home so he could catch his early-morning plane to London.

The boys and I were on our own for a few days.

Justin and Ty stayed behind with our friends for one last day of play at Europa Park- one of Europe's largest amusement parks.
While at one of the castles earlier in the week, we found a ropes course that the boys really wanted to do.

We passed not having the time or desire to entertain the littles for three hours so our big guys could climb.

There is a high-ropes course close to our house that I promised them we'd go as soon as we got back.

We had a couple days of Spring Break left- so we headed to the course.

I was pretty sure I was fine to watch, but after some pleading on Justin's part, I told him I would do it with them.

Knowing I have a fear of heights and a lack of upper-body strength, I was a bit terrified.

Unfortunately, Caden was too young to do the course, so I had to stay back with him.

Dang. Not, really.

Justin, Ty, Coleman and friend Drake were harnessed up and set to experience the adventure.
In spite of seeing the course and how high the ropes were- Coleman didn't seem phased at all.
He smiled through the briefing and seemed just fine hanging with the big guys. That was until he reached the top of the first climb.

The fear kicked in.
The climb itself was high and he wasn't even on the ropes yet.

My heart went out to him knowing I'd be equally {or more} frightened as he was.

With Justin at the top and Ty and Drake below he had great coaching to get him to make it.

It was a great chance for these big boys to show a softer, patient side and I loved watching them.

It was still a lot of coaxing, a few pushes and a few tears on his part to get him moving.

At one point, the German lady working offered to pull him down with a ladder.
I asked her to just hang on- I'd rather him make it than allow him to quit. Drake hung in there with him and helped him across.

He made it across the first course! There were probably five different segments with varying lengths and a variety of ways to get across.

One was just a single wire, another crooked slats of wood. They were varied and complicated.
He was done. Taking off his harness, he was happy to drink hot tea with Caden and I, then hit the cool play set with Caden.

Gentle play, of course- we're still trying to heal a fractured jaw.
Once down, Coleman was done. I was happy he didn't quit- hopefully, a self-esteem building moment for him. After patience and working to get Coleman through, the big guys headed off to the more difficult {higher} segments.

They did SO great. I stood in amazement of their strength and agility. Even as their mom- I was very impressed.
I can't believe these are our kids- love them.

No comments: