Thursday, March 6, 2008

Growing Boys, Growing Gifts

This morning, Caden looked at me and said, "Mom- you forgot to get us lunch." I looked at the clock, actually thinking that it was past lunchtime only to realize that it was only 8:50! (Yes, they had eaten breakfast) It felt like it should have been past noon, at least by the number of messes I'd already cleaned up and running around I'd done. These little guys just get up way too early for a mom who isn't a morning person, plus- they don't take a nap! It doesn't matter what time they go to bed, they're still up by 6:30... so, they drop by 7:30 at the latest each night. (that's nice!)


I started to think of how fast they grow. It's fun for us having 10 years in between our sets of boys to enjoy both stages- big boys & little guys. When they're little, I just love the gifts that they bring home from school. The pottery is my favorite. I love the dinosaur that I keep next to my sink even though he has a couple of broken legs. The flower pots, flower pens, pottery bowls and other creations are precious. It's always so fun to get it and see how excited and proud they are that they made it. It's been a few years since either Justin or Ty has brought home a cool mom gift.


Yesterday, Justin brought home something new. I'd say, it's the next level of "mom gifts." I'm thrilled to have a new step stool/bench that he made in wood shop. My brother, Steele made a great bench that my mom has always treasured that sits in her living room. I'm so excited to now have my very own! Just like the Justin who brought home the funky pottery fish in 1st grade, he was so excited to explain every detail. "I hand sanded the whole thing... the finish is honey oak... I did two coats of polyurethane..." It will sit in my living room forever.

3 comments:

Krista said...

The bench is beautiful! Great job Justin.

Anonymous said...

That's a nice looking bench. Lucky you, Sheila.

Kota's Mom said...

Nice Job, Justin!! That's pretty cool that you will have that forever, and it has a story :)