Monday, September 10, 2012

more F O O T B A L L stuff

I know it was a long weekend of driving {after flying into Oklahoma and driving up to KS} for Jim.

I also know he wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Justin's coach was gracious enough to email me their weekend itinerary, so I knew when they'd be where.

We booked Jim a hotel room next to the team, so he was able to meet Justin at the hotel and spend a little time Friday night and Saturday with him before the game.

They leave pretty quickly after the games, so we knew if he wanted to spend time with him, he'd have to catch up to them before.

He received a really warm welcome from each of the coaches and got a great vibe about where Justin is and who he's with. They are taking care of him which brings me a great deal of comfort. 
I've stumbled across an online site for the Jayhawk conference- Justin's conference. It's a nice site that has updates for scores around the league, stats, links to watch or listen and a message board.

Being a new mom to this whole college football thing, I was enjoying reading the posts on this message board in an attempt to educate myself  as to the tone and level of play in the league.

It's been especially insightful since I don't know who's who in his league. It's nice to have a little bit of an idea of who Highland plays next. I would guess most of the posts are from the dads, alumni or the old men in town who know all that there is to know about small-town football.
I do know three of the teams are nationally-ranked football programs making it one of the toughest conferences- a good thing for Justin. The next two games they play are against two of those top teams- Butler and Hutch. Neither will be an easy game for the Scotties.

Highland is definitely rebuilding coming off a 1-8 season last year. Even with their new coaching staff, we knew it was going to be a tough season with a few losses.

This weekend, they notched their first WIN against Dodge City with a score of 32-10.

It was so exciting and made staying up from 2-5am with the laptop in bed with me worth every minute. I can't say enough times how grateful I am for technology and being able to watch or listen to these games as they're going on.

Jim said Justin did great coming up with some big blocks.
I was so happy he was able to sit in the stands and watch.
I can't wait to get the whole scoop on how it was.

On the message board, they have picks each week. This weekend, Dodge City was picked to win by 12 out of the 13 who cast their opinion. Knowing they'll get stomped {after their BYE next week} the next two games they play, I'm sure they won't be winning anyone else over.

After that, I'm excited to see how the opinion of Highland changes.

Hopefully, for the better. Hopefully, soon.

We're pretty proud.

No comments: