Tuesday, September 11, 2012

C A D E N the six-year old

We're think we might just be those parents.

Maybe.

he might be a little big for his age...
You know, the ones who think sports and competition are kind of a big deal? I wish I wasn't, but I'm pretty sure I'd be lying if I said we weren't.

I'm not the mom who's screaming on the sidelines {however Jim has been known to turn some heads during t-ball a few years back}, but we like them to not only do good but stand out. Winning is good, too.

We started the boys in sports when they were little. Justin always wanted to play hockey. I thought it was too expensive and didn't do it. Instead, they tried out t-ball, soccer and ended up playing football kind of against my wishes. I always wanted a baseball or basketball player.
Now, you'd never know it by the way I can't stop talking about football.
I know it's bad.

When we moved to Ramstein, we really thought the sports would be at a much higher level. It's not and I think a lot of other parents thought I was the crazy one placing too much emphasis on sports.

I couldn't believe they didn't have a weight-training class. Only six regular-season games? Seriously?
School should be for academics, right?

At Ramstein, academics are definitely the focus which is good. Really good. I just think sports are huge too especially when you have kids who need that outlet and have a passion for sports.

For both basketball and t-ball this last year, we played Caden up a level. It was more out of convenience than to make him better. We were coaching basketball, so it worked to have him on our team of 7-8 year olds. He had just turned six, but managed to hold his own.

With his broken jaw, he missed his t-ball season, but was able to jump in for the last few games on Coleman's coach-pitch team due to the fact that our friend was the coach and didn't mind. Again, he held his own and worked really hard being the youngest one on the team.

For soccer this season, we debated putting him on a 7-8 year old team again, but I opted to let him play with the 5-6 year olds. That is his age group. We thought it would be good for his esteem to stand out a little.

This weekend was Caden's first game. He's not too excited they're purple {his coach has a girl, think that has anything to do with the color choice?} and was upset that they lost.

On the plus side, he did score all four of his team's goals. I'm wondering how long it takes for someone to ask to see a birth certificate. I think he might be a little big for his age, too.

He's so intense. He's so competitive. Even if he has to wear purple.
He's kinda like his brother.

No comments: