Monday, January 7, 2013

that drive to F R A N K F U R T

I asked a friend of mine a while ago if it would be easier for me to say goodbye to Justin after this Christmas break home.

With kids at college in the United States her response was,
"That drive up to Frankfurt never gets easy."

We made that drive to Frankfurt yesterday morning. He's safely back in Kansas. His trip was relatively smooth with the exception of one delayed bag.

It was a nine-hour flight to Washington DC, then another 2 1/2 to Kansas City. A long day for him. Now he gets to get back on CST time.  

I think I did fairly well. 

We got him checked in and were heading to the gate. He let us know he knew where to go and we didn't have to go all the way with him. 

I didn't start crying until I went to hug him and told him I love him.

He was ready and excited to see friends. He is ok. I know this.
It does mean that I will miss him any less. It's just too far being over here.

We don't have the convenience of having him home for long weekends or other holidays. 

I'm already counting down the days until Summer break.

I didn't think I was quite ready for the boys to go back to school until I realized how quiet it was this morning. It was nice- very nice.

Ty, Coleman and Caden started back up this morning.
I am so excited for 2013.
 We were fortunate enough to be invited to ring in the New Year with our Dutch friends the VanGaalens.  They are a wonderful family- we just love being around them. They taught us {and fed us} their Dutch traditions and shared their beautiful home and family with us. 
 
The boys were spoiled as our friends purchased tons of fireworks. It was freezing at midnight, but the fireworks show was spectacular.
 
Getting home late, we didn’t have much time to sleep- it was an early morning up so we could head to Garmisch. 
 
What a trip.
That being said, I think we would all agree that we enjoyed this Christmas break to the fullest as a family. Lots of new memories.

No comments: