Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Basketball Shots

I'm so proud of my boys! This week, we have three basketball games, plus Coleman's practice on Saturday and a Freshman tourney for Justin as well. I'm amazed at how well both Justin and Tyler are doing and have to remind myself that they're both so new to the sport. It's no secret that I have always LOVED basketball on any level. Problem was that neither Justin or Ty were interested at all in playing. As of last night, basketball has taken over for both of them as their favorite sport. I can't believe it. Ty's team is doing really great- winning, winning, winning! More than that- he's learning and improving every day!

Justin's team is struggling a bit still working for their first win. As a parent, I haven't ever (really close once) complained to any coach about their philosophy or how they run their team. Until now. How long should a parent sit back and watch before coming to their kid's defense? Not just about playing time, but about the way the whole team is being run? I tried in my "kindest" email voice to get my point across to his coach- we'll see if things improve. Regardless of how the season continues, it can be a learning experience for Justin. I'm just glad he's already got a love for the game I'm hopeful that this can carry on through college and they can both stick with it. We'll see...


3 comments:

Jody said...

It's very hard! I think we are so passionate because we have boys? or just because? either way it's hard not to be "that parent" but sometimes, it takes that parent to see a change, a needed one! I really like the shots you got of both boys and their teams!

Jody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

It's so hard! I know from talking to Mark that he appreciates parents who are kind and polite and respectful and appreciative -- he'll listen to anything they have to say. But the parents who get in his face and are rude and obnoxious? Forget it -- he'll tell them that if they don't like the way he coaches, they can pull their child off his team! LOL I'm glad the boys are enjoying basketball so much!