Thursday, October 4, 2012

C A R C A S S O N E

I have my baby home sick from school today. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to swipe my schedule and stay home when my littles need me.
I might be super productive.

Then again, I might just have to snuggle and pamper him all day.

We might just have to stay in pajamas, too.

I now know first hand how fast college comes.

Just around the corner.
I copied this picture straight from Wikipedia. It's so huge, it's really hard to get a picture of the entire structure.
This might be the last post {finally} on what we saw in Southern France this summer.

Listed as the second most popular destination in France after the Eiffel Tower is Carcassone.

We planned the day to hit Carcassone in the morning with a stop at a lake on the way home for some swimming.
What an amazing place. Every time we visit a castle or cathedral or any other place built so long ago, we can't help but wonder how they did it.

Every stone in place- it's really breathtaking.

I didn't read much about it before going but did know that portions of the 1991 film Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves were shot in and around Carcassonne.
I also discovered that concerts are still held there today. The week we were there Duran Duran was performing.

Duran Duran?
Tickets were over 40 Euro each. I found that crazy expensive especially considering they were popular when I was in sixth grade. We passed on the concert, but loved walking around the fortress.

Founded in the fifth century, though the Romans had fortified the settlement earlier.

It's a huge walled city with thoroughly restored in 1853. Walking around the insides is just like walking through an old village with shops, restaurants, museums and a beautiful cathedral.

It was amazing. The view was just as amazing from inside the walls.
It took a little bit, but we did find the lake we set out to see.

The boys all jumped in.

Jim was the good dad and got in as well.

It was a little too chilly for me- I got my toes wet then enjoyed some sun on the shore.

No comments: