Thursday, November 27, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

There's NOTHING like having family or friends come for a visit to get my house clean! That's what we've been doing today... cleaning up a bit since Jim's brother Jassen, his wife Dawn and little Dakota are coming for the weekend! We're so excited to have family we can't wait to see them! We begged last year for them to make the drive, but it just didn't happen. This year, Jassen was trying to sell his car. Jim told him a couple days ago- if he'd drive it here, he'd buy it from him- done deal! Now that there's a car on the way, Justin's finally excited to start driving... he better start studying up for his permit test!

We're going to make our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, since they're getting here later today. I know that makes it not feel like Thanksgiving, but also the weather and scenery are really confusing me. Even for our second year here in Kansas, it just feels strange not to be bundled up with at least some snow and ice on the ground. I don't miss it AT ALL... but, I didn't expect it to be built in to my mindset. I guess I just can't shake Alaska that quick... I can admit, I'll always be an Alaskan. My body just doesn't like the cold that comes with the territory.



Aside from no snow on the ground, here in Kansas they plant winter wheat. It really screws me up since they plant it in September or October sometime. So, all of the fields are bright green all winter, then they turn gold in the spring. That's a little backward to me, but I LOVE looking at it.

2 comments:

Chris,Cori said...

Happy Thanksgiving Dickey Family. We Wish you all Well This Holiday Season! Unlike you, WE MISS ALASKA!!! My Brother said it was snowing today on Thanksgiving!!! I looked outside much like your senery while talking to him and seen fall leaf trees and lots of green and a cool wind and had to picture a snow filled Thanksgiving and Christmas. We sure miss it! Expecially at the Holidays. God Bless, The Pearson Family.

Jody said...

Happy Thanksgiving To you and your family :) Love Jody