Tuesday, November 8, 2011

a tough L O S S


Justin and Steven heading off to the game
They fought hard, they gave it everything they had but still came up a little short losing the championship game by just two points.
It meant a lot to us that our family and friends could watch them live online. It almost felt like we were closer to family and not quite so far away.

We don't have to explain how emotional it was- those of you who were able to watch were able to experience it first hand. It has been a special time.

The entire game was close. Justin and Ty both played their hearts out.
It was an emotional night. An emotional weekend with really sad boys.

Sunday, {at different times} both Coleman and Caden approached the big boys unprompted and said, "I'm really sorry you lost your game."
Everyone was just a little down in our house.
I didn't really break down until I read the following Facebook post from one of the sophomores on the team:

We worked so hard and came so close. I'm sorry we couldn't bring it home for you seniors. Jon Grotelueschen, Young Oh, Jaap van Gaalen, and Justin Dickey you guys were the greatest leaders and it was an honor and a privilege to play under you guys. Thanks for a fantastic season.
RIP Brendon. I'll always be playing for you.

Watching Justin and Ty play together this season has been the biggest treat for us as parents.
From the time they were super little my big boys have never gotten along. They're extreme opposites and seem to argue or disagree on most things.

For some reason, they've both mellowed out a little this school year. Maybe, they're maturing. Maybe, they're realizing it's their last full year to live together.

Maybe, it's been playing football together for the first time since elementary school. Whatever it is- I don't care. I'm just grateful for this time. Beyond grateful.

As a mom, my heart is full.

Most upset that he couldn't help the team win for Justin- being his senior year, Ty was especially torn up. Saturday night, Ty posted the following on Facebook:

It took me 16 years and the last game I will ever play with my big brother to realize how lucky I am, how amazing and how proud I am of you Justin. I will never know anyone like you, with as much passion as you have, as driven as you are. You're the best and I love you bro
How could any mom ever wish for more?