Thursday, August 2, 2012

he's H E R E

He's here!!!!!!

It was the sweetest message I received all day. I felt a calm come over my entire body. My heart is so full right now.

I knew things would be ok. My appreciation for Facebook, Skype and modern technology jumped by leaps and bounds and has helped me through these last two and a half LONG days.

My appreciation for our friends and family has grown at the same time. I am truly humbled and feel blessed beyond words to have the friends and family we have. Without them this week, I'm not sure how I would have survived.

It was more than late flights, cancelled flights and hours spent on the runway not going anywhere. Justin left Germany sick and got more sick along the way.

Unable to keep anything down with a bundle of nerves is what worried me the most.

To be able to connect with each of them at a time of stress and crisis is something I will never forget.

* Becca in DC picked Justin up and took him home for three hours to sleep before taking him back to the airport. She had a Ginger Ale for him. She made sure his laptop was plugged in to charge. After more than an hour of looking for him, she sent me the message, "Found him!" which brought a huge sigh of relief. After filling me in on what was going on she wrote, "No problem, I know you guys would do the same for me :]"

* Jon in Chicago was on stand-by waiting and willing to do anything and everything he could to help if Justin got stuck there. When I let him know Justin might miss his connection this is the response I immediately received, "No problem. Just let me know and I will do what I can :)".

*Tay at KU was ready to jump in a heartbeat to get Justin's lost luggage and drive the 1 1/2 hr to HCC to deliver it if needed. After letting me know she would help in any way she could she wrote, "I have all the time in the world, do not worry about it :) it's about an hour and a half away, and I have a team ready to road trip if necessary :)".

* Messaging Justin's girlfriend Josie to let her know what was going on she was so calm and positive saying, "He'll be fine, he just has to get there!" One of her last sweet messages was, "Love you! And everything will be fine!!"

I love these kids.

Our friends Leslie & BJ also went way above and beyond to help. Les is a nurse and after I let her know I was worried about Justin, not sure what shape he would be in when he landed, she and BJ both jumped immediately to help.

She was working and still had time for me to call her. She told me which ER to send them to then called her friends there- filled them in on a sick Justin and assured me he would be well taken care of. As soon as they mentioned Leslie's name- they were taken right in with no wait and the best care.

I also got messages hours later from them checking to see how Justin was doing. Priceless.

Today, Justin moves into his new dorm room at college. He is rooming with Payton- a friend and teammate of his from Mulvane.

We became friends with his parents, Ken & Alesia soon after they moved to Mulvane. I think the boys were sophomores.

Life was always busy, but we enjoyed catching up and chatting at basketball, football and track meets.
I immediately clicked with Alesia and really enjoyed getting to know her. Little did I know at that time what paths our lives would take and how much she would end up doing for myself, Justin and our family. Even before this week, she had done so much including grocery shopping, taking a week off work and getting ready to take them to college.

We were told we had to fly Justin to Kansas City since it was the closest airport to his school. They agreed to pick him up without hesitation and drove three hours to get him. After hours and hours of waiting, they learned his flight was cancelled. They were able to get help from a manager, and let me know what was going on.

Alesia, Ken & Payton stayed in constant communication with both Justin and I throughout this this whole ordeal. I felt the reassurance from both Ken and Alesia that things would be just fine if he could just get there. They would do anything and everything he needed to take care of him. And they have done more.

Willing to do anything to help, they filed his bag claim then took him straight to the ER. Alesia stayed on her phone giving me constant updates of everything going on- even sending me the above picture of the boys. They filled his prescription.

She said his color was good. His spirits were high. He smiled big. They hugged him.
Things a mom needs to hear when she can't hold her son.

"Whatever he needs," she said.

I woke up to yet another message this morning letting me know he ate some BBQ chicken pizza and was doing well. Today, they'll take them up to school- should be a piece of cake after what he's been through.

For all of the blessing we received at this super tough time along with the Skype calls with family and email message of love from friends- I will be forever grateful.

It has to get easier. I know it will. This sending-a-kid-to-college gig is about killing me.

No comments: