Friday, August 17, 2012

N A K E D really is the norm

I don't think this falls into the negative or positive category as far as our experiences in France. It's the culture. No big deal.

I spent quite a bit of time researching the beaches of southern France.
Knowing this would be our focus, it was difficult with so many to choose from. Before we left, I found a guide to the beaches of the area we were visiting- Languedoc.
With more than forty to choose from right in our immediate area, we had quite the variety.
The review I had rated each beach as excellent, good, ok and bad. I'm still not sure I believe there is such thing as a bad beach.
We managed to hit four beaches in the area.
All were different.
All were fun.
All were wonderful and memories were created.
Not bad for a week-long trip.
First up, we hit the beach closest to our house. Marseillan Plage was a quick 20-minute drive and first up on our agenda.
The review said, "The beach at Marseillan Plage looks and feels very much like Cap D'Agde's- except that its bathers aren't nude." Remember my posting about Cap D'Agde- I told you we were right next to it.
The sand was fine, it was close and wasn't a naturist beach so we decided to go for it.
In my mind, I thought that not being listed as a naturist beach, everyone would have a suit on. Boy, was I wrong. It's hard to go anywhere here without boobs hanging out.
All kinds of boobs at that hanging at all different levels. 
our happy Coleman swimming in th ecrystal-clear waters of the Mediterranean Sea
The beach was beautiful- boys were happy. Sun was shining and warm, but the water was freezing. We were in the Mediterranean Sea after all.

My friend Stacey and I decided to go for a walk down the beach. Into our conversation, I looked up and noticed a completely nude couple getting out of the water.
Then, we gazed across the sand to see that everyone else was completely nude at the same time we noticed the sign saying we were leaving Marseillan Plage and now on the naturalist side.
Hilarious.
We turned around knowing we wouldn't be welcome with our suits on.
Taking ours  off wasn't really an option either.
The funny thing is, after day one, we didn't really care if they were listed as naturist or not.
We hit both and saw all types. I don't think any of the boys were really shocked at seeing anything.
After about the first hour, I'm not sure they even noticed as a set of exposed boobs walked by.
They were too busy playing in the sand, swimming and collecting treasures.
At least the little boys that is.
Marseillan Plage was only listed as ok.
The other three beaches we would visit were all rated excellent.
Oh, I love an excellent beach.
Oh, I love a good one, too.

No comments: