Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Military Benefit

I was so down on the military last week. I don't think I'm really that negative of a person- generally pretty cheery. So, I've been thinking about what good military life has to offer. It's been an attempt to change my negative attitude and thoughts. I don't hate the military, I just don't understand so many things. Common sense is huge with me and so many parts of the government simply don't get it. I know this is not a new concept, I'm just late catching on.

Anyhow... after almost eight months here, Jim discovered a secret benefit of the military! He stopped by the commissary the other day to pick up a few things. This is normal since we go through about a gallon of milk a day. To our surprise, our commissary has what they call Wacky Wednesdays with crazy deals. It's not an announced sale- a man shopping let him in on the details. Every other Wednesday at 4:00, they have these blow outs. Specials like we've NEVER heard of before. This week, cereal was part of the craziness. Huge boxes of GOOD cereal and it was all 50 cents a box! Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Cinnamon Toast Crunch... Even the double-bag of Cheerios was just 50 cents. This is huge for us. With four growing boys, we go through so much cereal.

They also had super cheap candy bars- something that we don't need in our house... but, how can you turn down a good deal? A six-pack of Snickers (the regular size, not the minis) was just 61 cents! Of course, as soon as he got home and began explaining the extra bags of groceries, my brain was dividing it out. That's just over 10 cents a candy bar! What a deal, what a benefit. Thanks, Air Force!
After a lifetime of shopping at the commissary, I still get excited about prices and specials they offer. I can admit if we did get out, that would be the one thing I would miss the most.

1 comment:

Chris,Cori said...

Shiela,
I just signed in and seen this. You are so funny but I was raised in the military and still being a military family I couldn't imagine paying the price's off base unless we had too because the cost is so much higher! The only other place I like to shop is COSTCO! We do save buying our meat and other things in bulk for these 4 growing kids! Miss ya, Cori