Friday, September 16, 2011

neuschwanstein C A S T L E

They're gone. I'm so sad. Jim took them to the airport this morning so I didn't have to break down saying goodbye. The first day they were here I said, "I just feel soooo far away and isolated over here."
Fresh off their long flight in Mac replied, "You are so far away."

At this point, that's probably the most difficult part of living here. I've made some amazing friends already, but I miss being close to family and friends.

Anyhow, for today- I am thankful for the new great memories we now have to add to our collection.

Edelweiss is an amazing resort for military members down in Garmisch- which is where we stayed. It's also where we will be taking anyone and everyone who comes to see us. It's just that beautiful. The setting, the region of Germany, the hotel itself- phenomenal.
We planned our days around the sights close to the hotel and were definitely not disapointed with ANY of it. The weather could not have been more perfect- clear, sunny days the entire time they were here.
Our next stop was the Neuschwanstein Castle. Construction started in 1869. It was never completed because of the early, unexpected death of King Ludwig II. The second floor remains unfinished. We walked through several rooms including his bedroom, music hall, kitchen, study and servant's quarters.
It's hard to pick a favorite spot or favorite day when we did so many cool things back to back. I'm thinking this might have been the highlight for me for the weekend. The Bavarian region of Germany is breathtaking.
The locals wear the traditional clothing and the cows have bells around their necks. Jim came to a screeching halt on a busy street for me to run across and get a picture.

Not only do they look cool- I loved listening the ringing bells. Oh, I just love cows- that's all there is to it. If only Jim would have been a rancher.


After a walk up the hill, we took a tour throughout the castle.

I think they said we walked approximately three hundred {300} steps. The boys did fine {once we reached the top}, Jim and Mac did fine, but Starr and I were both feeling it in our legs for the next couple days. It was a mini workout.
As the inspiration for Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty castle, it was stunning. The detail inside the castle was incredible. The views from every level were breathtaking.

Pictures just don't do it justice. I think we all just looked around with eyes wide open trying to take in the beauty. I have no other words to describe it.
Looking down from the castle across the valley to the other castle. Touring through one was enough for us, but the view still incredible. We wouldn't mind going back if anyone wants to come visit.

No comments: