Friday, September 30, 2011

rough T I M E

It's been a rough couple days for my boys. It's also Homecoming week.
Wednesday evening, a Ramstein High School senior was killed in a one-car accident.

It wasn't late {6:45}, it wasn't even on the Autobahn. He played football last year. Justin had a couple classes with him last year. Ty had Psychology with him this year and just realized he sat diagonally from him. His dad is one of the football coaches.

While neither of my boys knew him very well, both are definitely shaken up- Justin especially.

Right before we moved to Mulvane, there was a tragic car accident there as well- two football players were killed. One of them, a football coach's son. It made a huge impact on the community and also the football program- which is a family in Mulvane.

The death this week has brought back thoughts of Mulvane {Sam Keys and Kyle Adams} for Justin.

For me, it's a reminder of how important every day is. This month, a cousin of mine died as well. He was so young- just a couple years older than me. He had kids, parents, sisters, a brother. He was too young. While I didn't grow up close to him and didn't know him well- my heart is so sad. Sad.

Children aren't supposed to die before their parents. I can't imagine the grief and shock these parents, or any parents who loose a child go through. I hope I never have to experience it- I can't imagine anything more difficult.

Even with the belief of life after death and belief in God- I feel that death is never easy. Never. Not when it's close, not even when it's a distant association.

The pep assembly was cancelled at school. The homecoming football game tomorrow is going to be rough. I'm sure the tears will be flowing.

For today, I'll hold my kids a little tighter. A little closer.

No comments: