Monday, February 21, 2011

no more S N O W please

I do know it is February. I still think Spring should almost be here. Ladybugs, pansys and green last week turned to snow and more snow this weekend. And, it's still snowing. Seriously. Even knowing a lot of it is already melting doesn't help the fact that it is snow. I feel like I'm missing out on these 70 and 80-degree days that they are enjoying back in Kansas. I know I'll live, but I still don't like it. I've already been thinking of where we will end up after our assignment here. I know we want to get back to Kansas, but we might have to wait until retirement {4 1/2 years} until we can make that happen. Days like today, I'm thinking Guam or Hawaii or some other tropical location. Oh, I love the sun.

Germans don't seem to let the snow stop them from doing anything- especially walking. These senior citizens sweep and they W A L K. I mean, they walk every day- rain, sleet, snow or shine. We haven't even made it to the sunny months here- I'm sure the bike trails are going to be packed. As for winter, if it's raining or snowing, they use their umbrella. I have an umbrella, just haven't ever used it. Maybe, I should.

Today, we found this older man walking with his loyal {Boxer} companion by his side. He stopped, the dog stopped. He stared at us as we tried to figure out where to park. The dog stared right along side him. We were picking up Coleman from a birthday party and trying to figure out where to park. After a couple uncomfortable minutes {only for me, Jim wasn't bothered} of him staring as we sat parked, I talked Jim in to moving and parking somewhere else. It would be different if they looked a little nice, but they look so mean. It might help if they would smile every once in a while. I now understand what the word staunch, or the expression staunch German means... loyal, stout, firm, strong, true, steady, immovable. It's a great adjective to describe this culture.

Even with his walker, he could barely get over the curb. Didn't stop him from going on his walk, did it? I'm quite amazed and think the average life span here must be somewhere around one hundred years judging by the age of those we see on the streets and bike trails. I should be inspired, instead I just want to curl up and read a book from the warmth of my bed. What's my problem?
When I look at this picture, it mostly reminds me of my Grandpaw Burgan. Still going strong even in his upper ninetys. He even gets online daily- pretty cool for a Grandpaw.
Don't you think Grandpaw... he even has the Boxer next to him- that's your kind of dog, right?!? xo

No comments: