Wednesday, February 16, 2011

a little R E D tape

We were told in our orientation that once we're settled in, it would be a good thing to introduce ourselves to our German neighbors. The instructor said we needed to do this simply because they absolutely won't. He even warned they might stare out the window at us- to not get mad, but to just wave and they'll stop. He wasn't joking. I'm still not sure what to think about our neighbors and I still haven't introduced myself. On one side {connected to us} are the very nice Americans who let us use their Internet while we waited a month for ours to be activated. On the other side are the Germans. Jim thinks they're nice. I'm not convinced. Maybe it's because we were spoiled with the absolute best neighbors we could ever have before moving here. The kind that will remain friends for life. I'm definitely not used to having neighbors so close and can admit I kind of don't like it {at all}. It's quite possible it's all me- a little bitterness lingering from moving here.

Or, maybe it's them. Last week, we were in our driveway getting ready to go for a walk with Lady. They were headed out on their walk as well and walked right past us- without turning their heads or saying a single word. They even speak English- quite well according to Jim, so it can't be a language barrier.  I just thought to myself- this can't be normal, how rude. I was smiling, just waiting for even a quick hello and they were gone. It was even a Sunday- I thought they were supposed to be a little more relaxed on Sunday. Apparently not. It's just a husband, wife and their pre-teen daughter. Jim's talked to the husband a couple times. I've only ever said hi to the daughter. It's not because I haven't wanted to talk to the mom, I just haven't. Monday, Caden was outside playing and I noticed the mom {in the driveway} telling him to throw the stick for their lab. He was having a great time letting the dog retrieve the stick- I let him play, but wasn't forward enough to go out and say, "Hi, my name is Sheila." So unlike me. Soon afterward, I noticed Caden {still throwing the stick} but he had moved a little into their yard. I poked my head outside and told him to get back on our concrete {I still don't really call it a yard} so they didn't get upset. He quickly came back to our side of the little fence with the dog following. I didn't think much of it- until yesterday morning.

Justin looked out and saw this tape across their side of the house going to their backyard. He cracked a joke and said, "Are the neighbors starting on a construction job?" I'm not normally the type to be easily offended but my first reaction is to wonder why they couldn't just ask me to keep Caden out of their yard. Did they put it up because of him? Is it for their dog? They leave the dog out alone all the time without tape. That piece isn't going to keep the dog in anyway. I wish if they had such a problem that they would have just come and talked to me. I'm a nice neighbor- really. Somehow, I'm going to figure them {and their stinkin' tape}out.

No comments: