Sunday, February 27, 2011

B U D S on the trees

Right now, the sun is out and everyone in our house noticed it. By the time I finish this post, I'm sure it will be hidden back behind the clouds. The days are still so dark here, but I'm still holding on to the hope that Spring is just around the corner.
Returning from a grocery shop this week, I inadvertently purchased more frozen food than would fit in our little mini-freezer. I didn't have Jim shopping with me {to remind me} and forgot. Our last refrigerator/freezer unit was the largest in stainless steel that Costco sold. There was plenty of room. Additionally, we had a medium-sized chest freezer in our basement which was very easily filled as we returned from our Costco runs in Kansas. Oh, I was such a spoiled girl and didn't even realize it. In order to make the food fit in our freezer this week; I had to take out a bag of ice. Even with rearranging the food and shoving it in really fast before slamming the door shut, there wasn't enough room.

I stuck the ice outside. Remember, there are no ice makers here- our ice comes in bags or trays. Three days later, the ice is still frozen as it sits outside our door. The end of February and it's definitely still winter. Yes, a lot like Alaska.

I asked a friend the other day if the end of Winter was in sight. She's lived here for two years, so I knew she would know. She hesitated, then gently broke it to me that there is at least another month of yucky winter-ish weather here in Deutschland. Maybe, it would have been better if I just didn't know. Until it arrives, I'm trying to focus on the buds I just found on our neighbor's tree.

The date imprinted on the carton of milk I bought this week is March 5. At least March is close, right?

1 comment:

The Dickey Family said...

Buds are a good sign...only it makes spring getting here seem so much longer. It is kind of a teaser. We can have snow up until May....it has even happened in June...though we have not experienced that. We had a huge snowfall on April Fool's day one year...not funny! The sun is out by 8:00 now and going down by 7:00. That is SO hopeful and encouraging to me.:)