Thursday, February 3, 2011

my little G R O U N D H O G S

Caden had to try on Coleman's mask as well...
No shadow, Spring is near! Oh, I sure hope so. Until yesterday, I wasn't aware that the German immigrants brought Groundhog's Day to America. Coleman did a little Groundhog's Day unit in school yesterday- bringing home an abundance of information. I found out just a couple weeks ago that he's learning both Spanish and German in school as well. I feel a little out of touch here being that I haven't been in his classroom at all since the first day we dropped him off. I'm the {crazy} mom who loves working in the classrooms and knowing what's going on. It's just been a little more difficult with Caden to take care of. I like to know my kid's friends and what's going on. I'm super excited to get back to being able to volunteer in the classrooms this fall once I can send Caden to kindergarten.

My German teacher from high school is actually in Germany right now. We're planning a trip to see her {and her husband} while they are here. In an email she wrote, " By the way, we have AK weather here: lots of snow, great sun shine that doesn't warm anything up, just looks great." Made me laugh.

Growing up in Alaska, you would think I was used to long winters. I have said {over and over... too many times, I know} that when we moved to Kansas I really thought I was in heaven. Yes, it gets cold there and it is a bit breezy {most of the time} but it's so, so sunny! The warmth you feel when you step outside at night in the summer is something I loved, but still never got used to. For me, darkness has always meant coldness. I especially loved in the middle of summer {or any time really from May to October} after shopping in a freezing cold store with the AC blasting- stepping out in to the sun and feeling the warmth hit. Ahhhh... What I most remember disliking about Alaska was the cold. The bitter cold snaps, the tons of snow on the ground from October until April and having to bundle up everywhere you go {and still freezing}.

What I don't remember bothering me quite as much growing up was the darkness that accompanies winter. Here, it feels so dark. I keep thinking it can't be worse than Alaska, but it's definitely affecting me more. January was so long and February has started out just as dark and gloomy. This morning, it couldn't decide if it was going to snow or rain, so the combination made for slick roads of black ice and a completely dark, grey sky. I'm not at all sure why this is so much harder here. Is it because I'm less busy and have more time to focus on the lack of sunlight? Maybe, in Alaska it was easier since I spent a bit {ok, a lot} of time in the tanning bed under the lights. Am I just a little depressed still having to be here? I'd like to think not. Who know, but what I do know is I'm excited for some sunny days. If Mr. Groundhog says Spring is near, I'm going with it! Caden and I picked up some tulips this afternoon in a little German store. Then, I was reminded about the tulips in Holland and Spring just around the corner. How can we live here and not see the tulips in Holland especially when it's my absolute favorite flower in the world? It's only a 4-hour drive to Amsterdam from here. We could do it in a day trip even, a long day trip. Lots to be excited about, I just have to get through these remaining long, dark days. 

1 comment:

Krista said...

What is Frau Spencer doing in Germany? How fun!