Monday, June 20, 2011

m is for M E T R O

Wow- what a ride. What a long day. We are safe and sound in our hotel here in Paris. I'm pretty sure it's going to take me a couple days to get the courage up to jump back on the local transit system. It is not for the weak!

I don't know what I would have done without my big boys. I think more than anything today, I feel truly grateful for strong, smart sons to take care of their mom. In a huge, scary city with a million people- they stepped up to the plate, held it together and helped me through.
the ICE train- 315 km/hr- super fast 
We left our house yesterday afternoon and headed to the closest train station- no problem. The hour I spent straightening my hair was all for nothing as we hit a huge downpour getting out of the van. Nice start- I was soaked.

With more than a ton of luggage in tow, we made it on the first train. Jim warned me they wait for no one- to get on and off quickly and make sure not to leave anyone behind. How scary would that be?
We successfully got on and off that train, then on the second one for the hour and a half remaining to Paris. After the scuffle to find out seats, I realized she had all five of them spread out, but worse than that we were seated in the quiet car. Why in the world would she put us there? She knew I had small kids. Oh, well- at least we were on.
With two seats together, I sat there with the little guys- one sitting in the aisle. It worked. That was the easy part of the trip. Now to make it to the hotel. After getting specific instructions {since Jim just made this same trip last week} to get on the Metro, make one transfer, then shuttle from the hotel from the airport. The info chick decided to route us another way which would be much better and much faster. I bought tickets and we headed out.
After figuring out which metro to get on, we jumped on not without the doors closing on me. No pictures on the Metro- I was too stressed out. Thankfully, Ty got on first loaded down with two suitcases and a backpack. We had the little guys after Ty but in front of us, and Justin was able to push the door open so I could finish getting on. No joke, it was about a 10-second window for jumping on.
Unnerved, we took the ride and got off at the last stop- Pablo Picasso of all places. We then were told to jump on the bus. Bus 93 to be exact which was no where to be found. I did however find a nice woman {dressed in what looked like traditional modest Muslim clothing covered from head to toe with only her face showing} who helped me with her limited English, my mixed-up German/English and non-existent French. 
After approaching her, Caden asked, "Is she your friend?" Yep- she was now. After spending more than ten or fifteen minutes helping us, I tried to offer her some money which she refused. I then said, "Danke, no thank you..." then Danke again not remembering even how to thank her. {Justin reminded me I said Danke twice...} She graciously said, "You're welcome." Oh, I'm so confused.
She got us to the right bus stop, only to find out we had missed the first one and had a 45-minute wait. No problem- the boys were great. Caden had fun chasing the pigeons. We caught the bus, which felt like heaven after being on the transit. Nice padded seats, Rasta music- time to relax. Our stop was supposed to be a short two-minute walk to the hotel. After being let off, we realized it was more like twenty. I was surprised- no one complained. A proud mom moment for sure.
FINALLY... on the bus, the last leg of our trip... still smiling
Exhausted, we got to the hotel and waiting at the front door- my knight in shining armor.
This hotel is a Health and Wellness Center- I'm hoping to take in a little of the relaxing aura it presents. It's been a long week- I'm ready for some down time, then we'll hit Paris! Just being all together makes it all right again even if Jim has to work all day.

I'm loving the bathroom sinks and the jetted tub. Coleman and Caden can't wait to hit the pool this afternoon. Justin and Ty are in the weight room now.

We've let the boys know they can all take as long as they would like in the shower or bath as many times a day as they'd like. They better do it before we get back to Germany.

No comments: