Wednesday, June 15, 2011

N O T I C E has been given

I gave notice. What a feeling of relief and peace to have that hard task behind me. I assumed they'd be mad, then a friend asked me, "You really think they'll be mad? How can they be mad?" Well, it's not hard to rent a place here since there is a huge shortage of houses. It's a newer, fairly nice house- we just don't like it. Maybe they wouldn't be mad afterall. But, I think they're mad.

Sunday evening, I finally caught them both in the backyard so I headed out to get the signature on my termination notice. Rosa saw me coming and smiled, then when I handed her the paper she said, "Nein, Nein, Nein...Oh, Schade, Schade..." I initially thought Schade meant shame. I looked it up- the translation is pity. I explained myself as best I could. Mostly, I was happy to check this task off my never-ending to-do list.  Johannes gave me a look that could burn a hole through me then said, "No problem." She put her hand on my shoulder as I left and with her head hung low said "oh, Sheila- schade" a few more times. Maybe they thought they were good to us.

I can't figure out if they're really sad to see us leave. We really are good tenants in spite of having a dog and four kids. Or, are they just upset they have to go through the work of starting over with someone new? I'll likely never know.

Tonight, Johannes is mowing. Up until now he's always mowed our area and the other two in addition to his yard. I just noticed he mowed the other two, but not ours. Is it because Jim weed wacked a week ago and it's not that long? Or, is there another reason? Again, I'll never know.

No comments: