Friday, June 10, 2011

wet C E M E N T

I've mentioned the Armed Forces Network {AFN} before. With a dish on our roof and box on our tv, it allows us to tap in to American television- probably seven or eight basic {very basic} channels. We mostly only have the tv on for UFC fight nights, Super Saturday cartoons {C & C}. Surprisingly, I haven't even missed tv as sucked in as I used to be to my favorite reality shows.
One of the side benefits of watching AFN is you get the commercials alongside the limited programming. We're not talking about McDonalds or Olive Garden or even Applebees. These charming spots are all about the military, made by the military.
Naturally. Super corny and low/no budget, they're mostly horrible- there's no other way to describe them. On the flip side, they are probably better than seeing Red Lobster or anything food related knowing those restaurants don't exist on this continent.

Last week, we saw this commercial showing a boy walking through an old man's cement. It's all about patience and I love it. A real commercial, I was shocked.

This morning, I did something I've never done IN MY LIFE and never thought I would do FOR AS LONG AS I AM ALIVE. Never say never, right? While stopping by a house on base following a woman I've never met, I actually stepped in wet cement. All on my own, I didn't even have a kid around me to blame.

What in the world was I thinking? I'm usually a little more head's up than that.

The workers had obviously just poured new concrete in the inside of an entryway to a stairwell apartment building. Maybe it was the inside that threw me off?! Concrete is supposed to be for sidewalks, right? They had a thin plank laid across the top to obviously walk on.

I started walking across, then felt it give, panicked and stuck my foot straight in the newly-poured, super wet concrete. No footprint here, it hadn't even set up enough yet. Yep, flip flop and all up past my ankle bone dripping in concrete. I stood there for a minute trying to figure out what to do.

The woman told me there was a hose outside. I'm sure she thought I was an idiot, but at least she helped me out. I hobbled out, sprayed off and tried to hurry as fast as I could to get out of there before these German workers returned from their lunch. I'm really trying to win their favor rather than ignite their tempers. Pretty sure I didn't succeed today. Caden sat in the van watching me the whole time. I'm sure he thought I was crazy- what a role reversal.

This commercial is just a little more meaningful now.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I saw you post on Facebook and knew you'd blog about it. Sure enough you did. Disappointed there wasn't a picture of your foot. :)