Wednesday, June 22, 2011

open at S E V E N

As soon as we arrived at our hotel, downloaded our baggage and boys, Jim and I took a quick walk to the adjacent village in search of dinner Sunday evening. On the back side of the hotel, it was about a ten-minute walk through a nice park past a cemetary. I noted how clean and peaceful it felt. We held hands and enjoyed the cobblestone roads noting signs of France in every direction.
We ordered pizzas from one of the only places open and walked around the block while waiting. While Germans seem to be all about business, the French seem to be the opposite and not in a hurry to do anything.

Our walk was fairly uneventful as we returned with dinner ready to feed our exhausted and hungry bunch. Monday night, I headed out on the same path toward the village for dinner. This time on my own as I knew Jim would be working late. After an afternoon of swimming and games, the boys were tired and settled. Without thinking, I decided to just race out and back as quickly as I could to have dinner here when Jim returned from work.

Not too far down the trail, I noticed a group of young guys- three or four of them sitting on a park bench on the edge of the walkway. I wasn't too suspicious at first, then saw the one then another stand up and look directly toward me. They were whispering, of course if they were screaming I wouldn't have been any closer to knowing what they said. Then, a third one stood and looked me up and down.

I felt an immediate panic and looked around knowing no one else was in sight. I was on my own. I took a deep breath and tried to convince myself they were just looking at my disgraceful flip flops. Of course, my heart was racing.

I knew I couldn't turn around, so I charged forward putting my shoulders back a little and standing as tall as I could. That's what you're supposed to do when confronted with a bear, right? Of course, I stepped up my pace a little faster, too. As I got close and noticed them all staring straight through me, I turned and said, "Halo." What a dork, I know. Halo? It just came out.

They kind of looked at me and watched as I walked by. What a relief, but I knew I had to get back. I thought this trip was supposed to be sans stress. It was bright daylight, too. Not in the mood to venture any furthur, I stopped at the same pizza shop and ordered pizzas. I walked a bit further to the grocery that was open and bought some bread. When given my change, I sneakily took my military id, driver's license {I worked hard for that thing}, the Euro and American money I had and stuck it in my bra leaving very little in my wallet. I stuck it back in my {Nike} backpack with my bread sticking out the top and headed back to grab my pizzas.

I made it back just fine. This time, I watched as I entered the park and noticed them doing the same thing to others walking through. Yes, they were still there and said something to me as I walked back. I just shook my head and they all laughed- rotten kids. I was just glad to be safe with the hotel in sight.
From this little outing, I realized mostly how much I realized how rare if ever I'm alone. Also, how much I rely on the strength and security of a strong, confident husband. He did let me know that one day he walked through and saw that same group sitting there. While not afraid, he said it was uncomfortable. I won't be going anywhere here without one of my big boys or him. Lesson learned. I need and love the men in my life.

Last night, I took Ty with me in search of dinner. We struck out as we quickly realized everything was closed until at least 7pm for dinner. We were out at 5pm and NOTHING was open- how crazy is that? It was a nice hour-long walk with some great forced mom-son time. I enjoyed it, not sure he felt the same. The French eat late dinners as well.

I thought that was bad for your health to eat so late. How do they stay so skinny?

No comments: