Monday, June 13, 2011

we're M O V I N G

Last week, I felt strongly that I needed to do something with our kitchen. It's no secret this kitchen has frustrated me from day one. After the initial move in, I always hit a wall. I wish I could slowly be able to place things where they want to go and end up with a perfectly-organized home. I kind of start that way, then end up shoving stuff towards the end because I'm just tired of looking at it.

Well, last week I decided to go back through our kitchen and laundry room and organize. I ripped everything out and started over ending up quite content with what I had accomplished. I finally decided I wouldn't hate this kitchen any longer.

I also said last week for now we'll stay put. Well, we're moving.

I know it sounds crazy. Two huge moves in less than seven months. This one we get to do on our own making it even harder. That being said, I can't even describe the peace we already feel with our decision to leave Oberstaufenbach.

Just over a week ago, my friend was offered a house on base. Of course, they offer it to her the day she left to the states for the summer. With her husband deployed for a year, I let her know I'd help in any way I could. The thought even crossed my mind to let another friend look at her house as she's been wanting to downsize and move. While we really love the house, we didn't think too much about taking it over. Primarily, I knew they didn't want a dog there. Mostly, I didn't want the headache.

While giving the notice to her landlord last week, I had an immediate change of heart and knew this could possibly change our entire experience in Germany.

I've wanted to like our landlords now- I really have, but I don't. I don't think they're nice people and especially in the beginning they didn't treat us very well. Our deposit alone on this house was 3000 Euro- that's over $4300. More than anything, we are afraid the longer we are here, the more likely they'll find reasons to keep it. The trust is not there knowing they will argue for every cent {and she has}. The mold is a huge issue. The distance we travel to base {15-20 min each way} has worn on us especially with the price of gas making two or three trips some days.

I was completely taken back by the kindness shown in the first five minutes talking to the new landlords. She and her husband spoke to me at the door, then welcomed us {Caden and I} in to their home to sit down and talk. They even speak English. With no hesitation, they said it would be just fine for us to move in even having a dog. I left feeling excited and overwhelmed at the same time.

The house is five minutes from base- the location is prime. The village is beautiful- bakeries, a little store or two, even a restauraunt. The trails are amazing. The church bells ring all the time. It's a real village.  The house is beautiful with a real sink. A real sink. With a full basement for storage, it feels much larger than our house now with a much better layout. Our new neighbor is the Frau across the road.

Upon leaving, I called Jim and said it was a no-brainer, we're moving. I tried to explain to Jim how nice they were. I think in my obsessed state of mind, I said it at least ten times. Friday night, we stopped back by their home to go over a new contract. Again, they welcomed us in to sit at their table and visit. After more than an hour, we left elated. Jim understood what I was saying and felt the exact same way.

I walked away with my heart so full that someone would be so kind to us. I felt like crying and I have. They're different tears this time.

I'm not sure I believe it's always necessary to taste the bitter in order to appreciate the sweet. I don't know if I would have thought they were so nice if we hadn't experienced what we did initially. I do know my gratitude is deep and my appreciation abundant. I feel as though we have been given a fresh start. I'm even excited to hang pictures.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Oh Sheila thats wonderful! I am so excited for you. And to live by the German woman that you connected with is even more fabulous. When do you move in? Sunday I meant a woman at church who was trying to Space A back to Germany and has been stuck here for a week and living in the terminal. She has 3 kids ages 4,3 and 10 months. I took her back home with me because I knew what she'd been through. She is Army and has been stationed at Baumholder for 1 1/2 yrs. Oh and her husband is deployed for a year in Afghanistan. What do I have to complain about? My life is easy. . .