Tuesday, June 14, 2011

E is for Eiffel T O W E R

This is one of the books we've been reading for bedtime this week. One of the several books I found at the library for a quick education on France- another country I know next to nothing about.

Very informative, beautiful pictures- I want to own every one in the set, then go visit every city, every monument and every park listed.  Each page has beautiful art, a short poem and additional text including background on the place, person or idea highlighted. Love it.
I'm thinking the Italy one might be next on my list.

Other books listed include:
A is for America
M is for Maple {Canada}
B is for Bagpipes {Scotland}
C is for Ciao {Italy}
P is for Pinata {Mexico}
S is for Shamrock {Ireland}
D is for Down Under {Australia}
D is for Dancing Dragon {China}

I'm also reading this book which is equally as informative with so many ideas. With 68 different cool things to do in Paris, I could probably use this book alone and still never have time to see and do everything available.

For each landmark it gives a brief description, then also the address, phone number, Web site, hours and even the pricing.

I think it's crazy for so many places how they have the pricing. For example, to go to the Catacombes {highly recommended and on my list}, it is 3.50 Euro for ages 14-26, 7 Euro for adults 27 and up. I've never seen this before. Age 27 must be that magical number you're finally an adult.

Too bad they don't charge kids prices for meals up until age 26. Now that would save us some money.

Even better- I was reading about a place called Aquaboulevard. A year-round indoor-outdoor water park it sounds pretty cool.

As a side bar, I read:

"Note that baggy shorts-type bathing suits for men and boys are not allowed; brief-style swimwear is required."

I'm pretty sure my big boys would rather die than wear brief-style swimshorts to a public pool. Jim too for that matter. We are in Europe- do as the Europeans, right? Think I should surprise them... a day at the pool and new shorts? Oh, this could be fun.

No comments: