Tuesday, June 7, 2011

S T R A W B E R R I E S

Look what we found this weekend! Juicy, red, sweet, ripe, delicious strawberries at a little patch right off the road. As we showed up, we saw a couple leave with a huge beautiful glass bowl filled to the rim.

I was a little concerned that we were supposed to bring our own basket or bag, so I ran to the car and found a plastic bag in the trunk. The {older} non-English speaking German woman gave us cardboard containers to collect them in, but I still thought she would want them back as soon as we paid and checked out.

She weighed them, Jim paid {surprisingly cheap}, and I went to dump them {gently} into my plastic bag.

She quickly stopped me with a slightly-raised voice letting me know I was obviously doing it wrong. I'm not quite sure what words she was using... but, I know I frustrated her. I quickly put the berries back in the containers, and she helped me put both in the bag. Guess she didn't need her cardboard back after all. Over here, you never know- they save and use everything, or charge you for it.

Perfectly manicured rows without a weed in sight- I wouldn't expect anything less over here. Delicious straight out of the ground, we ate half of them on the way home. Yummy!

1 comment:

Krista said...

We went trawberry picking on Firday. The kids wouldn't stop picking them. I came home with too many to eat but not enough to make jam out of. So we are freezing and making strawberry ice cream with. YUM!