Saturday, December 24, 2011

gingerbread H O U S E S

My aunt Sarah was well known for making the most beautiful gingerbread houses. You know the kind you see in magazines?

Beautiful detail. Perfect all the way around. I have her gingerbread and icing recipes, but still haven't gotten brave enough to attempt making them.

I do however love the tradition of gingerbread houses.

Usually, my boys get to do the graham-cracker style houses and don't care or possibly don't even know they're not really gingerbread.

This year, I bought these cool kits ready to just be glued together with icing and decorated with candy. I still struggled to get them together and they were by no means anywhere near perfect. Lots of candy covered them up, and they were perfect in their eyes.
But, the boys didn't care. So, I didn't care. It was fun, they were happy. Life goes on. The candy started coming off before I even got the finished pictures. I'd consider that success.

Maybe next year I'll attempt baking them from scratch. Or, maybe not.

Happy Christmas Eve... the littles in our house were up at 4:20 this morning- so excited for Christmas Eve. Ugh. I have a feeling tomorrow morning will be an early one in our household as well...

No comments: