Monday, December 5, 2011

we're playing B A S K E T B A L L

It's basketball SEASON! The football All-Stars game {that Justin was supposed to play in} was on a Saturday night.

Basketball tryouts and conditioning started the following Monday- less than two days later. Not much of a break.

We are proud and super excited that Justin made the team. After a year off and only three years experience {his whole life} it's definitely out of his comfort zone. He could play football with his eyes shut. Basketball causes him to think a little. With late practices from 5:30 - 7:30 every night and conditioning in the mornings before school- he's tired, but he's playing.

They had their first game this Friday night. It was a two-hour drive to the gym for a 9:00pm game start time. We didn't get home until around 2:00am. Craziness. I remind myself- I wouldn't want it any other way. It was a tough loss to start the season. Hopefully, things look up this week with another two games.

Justin's not the only one playing basketball this season...

A couple weeks ago I think I said, "I'm well known for being quick to take on lots of projects and volunteer whenever the opportunities arise."

I think I've done this my whole life- it's me. I like to be involved- especially when it comes to our kids. I can't help it. Right, mom?

I've done it again. We signed the little guys up for basketball through the Youth Sports program here.

Coleman is on the 7-8 year olds and Caden on the 5-6 year olds.

After receiving two or three emails that they were still looking for a volunteer to coach Coleman's team- I responded that I'd be happy to help out as an assistant.

The response I got back from the youth director was to come pick up the paperwork. We did the background and security checks. Long story short- Jim and I are now coaching. Funny thing is- he's listed as the head coach, I really am the assistant coach.

He reminded me that he knows nothing about basketball- not even paying attention to know what position is where. He watches our boys- that's it. Guess he's going to learn, right?

Fortunately, they moved Caden up so we will be coaching both Coleman and Caden- they're thrilled. We'll see if it lasts. It's not exactly what we had in mind going into December but, it's ok.

I'm excited. Now, I need to go get a whistle and clipboard to make it official.

No comments: