Wednesday, December 14, 2011

justin I S eighteen

Today is Justin's birthday. He's 18. I just can't believe it.

Last night, as we were saying good night to him, I looked at the time and said, "It was right about this time that I headed into the hospital the night before having you."

He kind of laughed and said, "You were there all night?" Yep- 12 hours, and that was kind of normal for a first baby.

I remember staying up all night watching the monitors just waiting for my little guy to be born. When my doctor made his first rounds, I was sure he was going to stay and he was going to be born.

Instead, he let me know he was going to go out and get a few more Christmas presents and he'd be back. Justin was born just before noon.

I was so excited- I couldn't stand it! My first baby and he was absolutely perfect. Three days later, I jumped on a plane and headed north to Alaska to meet his Grandma, Grandpa and Aunt Starr.

A couple years ago, I was having a conversation with a good friend in Kansas. I'm sure we were sitting in bleachers in some gym watching our boys play a game.

Her oldest son is also a senior and friends with Justin. She said something that I think about often. Being a young mom when having her first son- she felt that she grew up with him. The bond is super tight.

I hadn't ever thought about my mother-son relationship with my big boys in that way before. I know there is something special about having boys and I am very close to them all.

Once I looked at it from this new perspective- I couldn't agree more. The bond is super tight.

Being just twenty when Justin was born- I was so young. Ty came along pretty quickly after. As a super young mom- they got to endure my trials whether they liked it or not.

I didn't know what I was doing and made more than enough mistakes along the way. No matter what, I had my family and I always had my boys. Thankfully, the bond has remained tight.

He might be 18, but he's still my baby- can't help it! On our menu tonight- probably the same thing he had when he was two and every year since... steak and shrimp.

Happy Birthday, Justin! Oh, we love you so much. xo

1 comment:

Mac and Starr said...

Ahh that made me cry!