Sunday, December 4, 2011

ready for W I N T E R

In a random conversation the other day, I reminded Jim how important taking a German class is to me. Initially, I planned to take one this fall once Caden started school. Now, I would really like to start one after the holidays.
His response was something like, "That's great- go ahead and do whatever you want to. But, you know everyone here speaks in English."

When I have to speak in German, I can sort of make do- but, more than anything it makes me want to speak and understand better. I have a super long way to go. I also think there's no reason for me to not be fluent by the time we leave- it's all around us.
We happened to have this conversation while headed to visit a German man in our village who has a lot of wood in his yard.

We took a chance that he'd sell us some and walked through his gate to approach him.

There are no signs anywhere- just lots and lots of wood.

Jim spotted him once we made it half way across the yard. We had to turn our backs for a second as  he was standing up peeing.

This is Germany after all- very typical. Once situated back in his wheelchair {he's missing part of a leg}, I asked if he spoke English {in German, of course}. Nope.
We went back and forth for a while adding in a little sign language along the way. Somehow, we came to an agreement to purchase a half cord {or maybe it was two cords} of firewood that he would deliver the next morning at 9:00. We tried to pay him up front and he let us know- no, you don't do that. In Germany, you receive the service or goods first- then pay.

Never the other way around. Good to know. As agreed to, he showed up the next morning and dumped our wood.

We didn't chat long- he did say how nice our area is and our landlord too. I'm sure he's been here forever as many of them have.
I told him we'd be back in a year or two or whevever we get through it. Jim says we got too much.

I think it's perfect. The old man just laughed. He's just around the corner. I'll have to add him to my list of older German grandpas that I'll give a friendly halo or Morgen to on my walks.

We couldn't be more thrilled with our new firewood which burns SUPER hot. We've had a fire going every single day and the heaters in the living room have been off which should result in a lower gas bill {we hope}.

Everyone is excited and can't walk past it without stopping to feel the warmth.
We're pretty sure Lady has enjoyed it as much as any of us. When a new log is put on with bright flames- she'll go over {if she's not already} and just stare. Otherwise, she's sprawled out in front of it. Oh, it's wonderful.

No comments: