Monday, April 18, 2011

E I G H T whole pounds

I have finally done it. I started running for what feels like the first real time in my life. Not fast, but it's a start, right? I'm not even sure I want to go fast. Just going is making me happy. What a huge difference beautiful scenery, awesome trails and a friend to teach me while run along side me have made.

In junior high and high school, my days playing basketball were short-lived mostly because of the fact that I hated running. What good is it even to be a tall girl if you can't make it up and down the court? Early on, I switched over to volleyball and while you still have to be in shape and run a great deal, it never felt quite as bad as full-court running. All psychological? I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure since those days of running suicides on the basketball court, I've only ever run on a treadmill. Even with my most-dedicated plans, I've never stuck with it for more than a week, give or take a day. For some crazy reason, I've always thought to run you have to go and go and go until you feel like you're going to DIE! Well, I did {die} just about every time I tried and HATED every minute of it.

I'm not going to say this last week has been easy, but I haven't dreaded it. It's actually been enjoyable and even more rewarding to finish a run as we meet our goals. Baby steps.

That being said, I gained a whopping EIGHT {8} pounds last week. Not one to usually talk about my weight {in numbers} but, I can't believe it. Some eat more when working out because the work out seems to justify more calories. I think I'm the opposite that if I'm going to work hard, I'm not going to blow it on junk food. I really tend to eat healthier and definitely drink more water when I'm breaking a sweat.

To start really working out and gain that much is not cool. I've decided I'm not going to get on the scale again {or ever}... and keep my focus. All I can say is my clothes better start fitting better soon if this fat is all turning to muscle.

The same friend who I am running with also introduced me to a new favorite treat last week. I'm still not sure whether to thank her, or not. She did say they make a good weekend treat- Magnum bars. She was also just in the states, and found that Wal Mart is starting to carry them. So delicious our entire family is in love. 

Honest, I didn't try it until after I found out I gained the eight pounds, so I might be up to ten pounds gained now for all I know. They are creamy ice-cream bars with the smoothest, yummiest chocolate. Amazing.

While we've only been to McDonalds twice since we moved here, we found out by driving by the other day that they have Magnum McFlurry. Unable to pass them up, Jim and I splurged without the boys... shhh... Pure heaven in a cup. Now that I've discovered these, I definitely can't stop running now.

3 comments:

Mac and Starr said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it!!! You're doing awesome...wish I was there to go running with you! love ya*

Krista said...

Way to go. Dont worry about speed. Just enjoy it. Speed will come later as your body gets used to it. I can't believe you told me about Magnum bars. Now what do I do if I try it (which I will) and like it????

Krista said...

Oh and I think your scale is broken!