Tuesday, April 19, 2011

hey its J U S T I N

It's like he's 16 all over again. Justin took his International Driver's License test yesterday morning. Because he had his driver's license in the US, he's allowed to drive over here- as long as he can pass the test. If you haven't previously been issued a license in the states, you have to wait until you're 18 {I think} to drive in Germany.

Ty missed out having just finished Driver's Ed and getting his permit before leaving Kansas. He didn't even get a chance to get his license and will have to wait quite a bit longer. He was and still is a little bummed.

Being a teenager while living in Europe is anything but ordinary. We are trying to let them know this. I think as soon as we get to see and experience Europe, it will sink in that this is a great opportunity we will all be able to carry with us for the rest of our lives.

For Justin, having both his car and license stripped as we moved over here, he's slowly getting it back. Unsure whether he even wanted to drive with the craziness over here, his new friends {most of whom have been stuck here and can't drive} gave him that little extra push to get it.

Always one to joke {and tease endlessly}, this is the instant message he sent Jim last night on Skype:

hey its justin. i didnt pass the test. but only missed by 3. i got an 82. so im going to retest friday. but it wasnt that hard. later

Fact is, he took his dad's car to school today for the first time since he PASSED. As Caden and I waited outside the testing room for him to finish, we saw several people exit and head straight outside without a license in hand. I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous for him and that anxiety wondering how he was doing. I really just didn't want to get up early again to get him there by 7am to take it.

Needless to say, he was elated as he came out to let us know he passed. I think this was even bigger than getting his US license. He was definitely happy.

The plan was for him to take the van today since he has very little experience driving a stick shift. Extremely cautious, I figured it would take him a while before he'd be confident enough to drive the Honda. He completely caught me off guard as he jumped right in the car this morning- ready to go.

He made it out of the driveway without stalling and I didn't get a call from them which I'll take as a good sign. We'll see tonight how he really did. I sent Coleman on the bus, since dropping him off would have been pretty inconvenient {maneuvering around 55 busses is a pain}, but he didn't seem to mind.

On the other hand, Ty was more than happy to be spared the bus ride. We all know Ty loves sitting in the front seat of any vehicle.

I think I'm most excited- I don't have to pick them up from track, at least for this week- yeah! I say this all the time but, there really are great things that come with having teenage boys. Oh, I love my boys.

Update: He made it to school and home only killing it ten {10} times. Ty says it was more like twelve (12) times. He was excited that most of those were on the way to school, only twice on the way home- drastic improvement.  He decided to take the van tomorrow... Ty is relieved.

No comments: