Thursday, April 14, 2011

so G R O S S to me

What in the world are we going to do with this little guy? He's sick again, actually he's still sick. Poor Coleman just can't catch a break. In the last year, he's tested positive for strep three {3} times. After a full ten-day cycle of penicillin, he's still sick. I thought penicillin was supposed to kill everything- guess not.

With a fever, body aches, chills, sore lymph nodes, sore throat, loss of appetite and major fatigue we ended up back in the doctor's office this morning.

He found his spleen to be sore and perhaps a little enlarged, and said absolutely no contact sports for a full month. That's practically the whole coach-pitch baseball season for him- bummer. He also did another throat swab for strep which came back POSITIVE. Unbelievable, so we're starting a new antibiotic now. To top off the morning, we ended up back in the lab for bloodwork to see if we can figure out what's up. We suspect mono again. Whatever it is, we'd love to be able to keep him home and get our little guy well SOON- we miss our happy J.

On a side note... I had a little run-in with the doctor we saw today just a short month ago. For the first time ever, I even filled out a complaint form. I immediately switched our provider to another who happens to be on Spring Break this week. This guy was our only option today. I tried to go in with an open mind. Of course, he comes in shakes my hand, shakes Jim's hand and introduces himself as if we've never met. I know they have a lot of patients, but seriously.

He then gets on the computer {typing on the keyboard} and talks a bit before going to the table to examine Coleman. He immediately did his exam WITHOUT EVER washing his hands. I was about to jump out of my skin I was so GROSSED out. We can admit, we're border-line germ-a-phobic around here, but in a clinic touching other people {sick people}, nasty computer keyboards that everyone works on, and shaking hands pushed me over the edge. I didn't know whether to say something or just let it go. Here, we have a super sick kid we're trying to get well and this dirty-hand man is touching him. I just got up {while he was still talking to us} and washed my hands. I didn't know what else to do. I really was trying to be on my best {mamma bear} behavior.

Not the brightest, he probably didn't even get the hint. He walked out of the exam room still never having washed his hands. Horrible. Pretty sure I won't be able to keep my mouth shut next time- that's just completely unacceptable. What would you do?

No comments: