Friday, April 22, 2011

Doner F R I D A Y

I'm going to count this week as done... just a little more than one to go until Jim returns home. I can't wait. In spite of being able to Skype and talk to him on the phone two or three times a day- I still really, really miss him. We need him home and absolutely hate him gone. I often tell the boys that hate is a really strong word- don't use it too often. In this case, it applies.

Today, I headed to town to get a couple last minute Easter things {including Easter grass} only to find that all of Germany is shut down. Good Friday and everything is already closed for the weekend. Even Johannes isn't working out in the backyard. Must be a holiday. For the umpteenth time... these Germans love their holidays. No Easter grass at the BX either- guess we'll live without it this year. It's a pain to vacuum anyway and always seems to stick around forever!

In Justin's world, all is good. It's Doner Friday today. Seniors and juniors are allowed to leave the school for lunch. Ty hates that he has to stay back- I keep trying to let him know it's just part of being an underclassman. His days will come soon enough.

We haven't ventured out and tried the German cuisine {yet}, but we have found something that we all {excluding Coleman, but he doesn't count because he pretty much picks at anything} love. Doner Kabobs.

Jim first took me there for my birthday. Now, the whole family loves them. They're from Turkey, and oh, they're so yummy! In Ty's opinion, they're probably the best thing over here. I keep letting him know that will change as soon as we venture out a little.

Seared meat that he shreds straight off the bone then placed in a wrap or pita and loaded with shredded cabbage, lettuce, tomato, yellow peppers and the most wonderful white sauce. This new place we found has a little dill in their cucumber sauce- you can't help but love it.  

Jim and I ate at a shop {our new favorite} last week before he left. Once we sat down, I asked the serving lady for ketchup for our fries. They had a bottle on another table, but she brought me over two packets. I don't know why that seems so strange to me. I like how they plate the fries- it's all about appearance.

Happy Anniversary to my wonderful parents today... hope it is an enjoyable day for you! It is Good Friday, you know? xo

1 comment:

Krista said...

What type of meat do they use? It looks like the gyro I LOVE to get everytime I go to NYC. Its made with lamb (or chicken) but I take lamb. Seriously so delicious. And topped with the white sauce. Love love love it!!!!