Thursday, May 26, 2011

no keeping C A D E N down

As a mom, I think I know my kids pretty well. Caden woke up sick yesterday morning complaining of a sore throat. We knew immediately that he was sick. Very little can keep him down. I called {first thing} to make an appointment to get him in so I could get the meds and get it over with. I guess I didn't answer the questions correctly. Instead of just making the appointment, I was diverted to an on-the-phone nurse for a consult.

Irritating, but ok. I forced myself to stay calm, taking a few deep breaths.

After a thirty-minute question and answer session, her recommendation was some self-help care at home. Soft foods, liquids. Seriously? In my most polite {patient} tone I responded, "I'd really just prefer an appointment to get him in today. Thank you."

I thought I did quite well, but instead I pretty much set her off. She let me know that she'd have to make a note that I was refusing her advice. Not the first time.

Trying to get out the door, she said I'd have to call back and make an appointment- did I have the phone number? I did let her know yes, I had it SINCE THAT'S WHY I CALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE. Whatever. No appointment, I had to run get Coleman to his field trip.

The afternoon hit and Caden was worse. Didn't leave our bed all day is a serious sign for him something is wrong. He's definitely his daddy's boy- they don't like to sit still. I called the appointment line back and tried to get a message to the doctor. Of course, no appointments are available now. German doctors are closed down on Wednesday and Friday afternoons. Why does this not surprise me?

Luckily, we've found a fantastic provider here who even knows us by name. As soon as the message got to him, he told the nurse to have us come straight in- no worries. Yikes, that was painful. I don't think I've ever had such troubles just getting a simple appointment.

Caden has strep. However now, you wouldn't know it. He even had orange juice last night. Who drinks orange juice with a sore throat? Ouch. Today, he woke up and said,"Man, I feel 100 times better. Dr. Z knew what I needed." He's already played soccer, lift weights, organized, cleaned and hasn't stopped running since he woke up. Oh, if we could all bounce back so fast. Crazy kid.

No comments: