Sunday, May 29, 2011

she thought I was G E R M A N

What a delightful weekend, and it is only Sunday! Lately, we've been so hungry for some good fish. The boys love it all. Jim and I especially love halibut- one of the best things that comes out of Alaska in our opinion. But, fish is so expensive! I can't even justify buying the frozen itty bitty filets at the commissary.

Going on the recommendation of friends, yesterday we headed out to find a store by the name of Cora. We were told it's the place to buy fish. For us, it was an afternoon date with some much-needed time alone. We told the boys we were going shopping so of course they all opted out. The big boys agreed to hang home with the little boys without even a complaint- so nice.

Only about a thirty-minute drive from our house, we headed west and crossed over the border into France for our little shopping date. As soon as we walked in the door, we headed to the toilette to start our French experience. While in line waiting for a toilet to open up, I noticed the first stall open. I pointed to it for the lady in front of me to see if she'd take it. In marker, Enfant was written on the door, but it was empty and wide open.

She said something, then must have noticed my blank stare in spite of my friendly smile. She then said, "Deutsch?" Did she actually think I was German?
I couldn't believe it! Could I possibly blend in with these Europeans? Although sporting one of my nicer pairs, I was wearing flip flops which I hear is a dead give away of being an American girl. Seriously, almost anywhere on the economy I go, I notice the women look down at my feet- usually in disapproval. That's the only style of shoe this chicky wears nine months of the year- I can't help it.

I promptly replied, "English."

"Aah," she said as she explained the first bathroom was for children- Infants. So funny but more than that, I noticed how friendly she was. This carried on throughout the store- people were smiling, happy and so pleasant. Made for a good first impression and experience in this new country. I'm starting to think the Germans might possibly be the most serious of the Europeans. It's hard to tell if they are even happy.
On with our shopping, we loved looking around. The fresh, beautiful produce was amazing. The fish and seafood looked to have been dropped off straight from the boat.

Then, there was the bakery. 

Delicious pasteries, tortes and fruit-covered cakes. Almost too beautiful to eat, we wanted to try a bite of each.

We bought a little salmon a sample of pasteries for the boys and of course, we had to buy French bread. We were in France, of course!

In the parking lot, Jim noticed a van set up to change out tires. Who needs a building or a shop? It was a one-stop tire shop on wheels. We're still trying to figure out how to pronounce the word in blue writing on the van. Any takers?
Not even knowing a word of French, I feel a little inspired to learn a few basics. Unprepared, I didn't even know how to say thank you, or sorry, or please. I hated that. It also made me realize in spite of feeling completely inadequate, I might know a little more German than I think I do.

There's so much to learn.

1 comment:

Carinne said...

When Ethan and I went to India, we had a hard time with the food. There were a couple things that OK, but most weren't very good (buttered Nan was fabulous and that was about it). Ethan really struggled in particular. On the way home, our flight stopped in Paris. I bought a sandwich at a snack counter. It was outrageous in price (between airport prices and Euros, it cost a small fortune), but we were hungry. It was just french bread, ham and cheese. Nothing else. Ethan couldn't get over how incredible it was. He kept going on an on "This is the best sandwich I've ever had" Now, part if it was the lack of good food for 2 weeks, but real French bread is just so good. You don't need anything else. He kept asking why we couldn't get this back at home. He still talks about that sandwich. Enjoy your bread!