Thursday, February 14, 2008

Red Velvet


Happy Valentine's Day!

I didn't even know what red velvet was until a few years ago. Guess it's a southern thing and AK is about as far as you can get from the South. Thought I'd pass on this WONDERFUL recipe from Aunt Patti. (She got it from Paula Deen) They're so yummy... don't think about what goes in to them, just eat them! I love Valentine's Day... thought it'd be a fun treat for Jim and boys to come home to!

Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cocoa powder
1 1/2 canola oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 T red food color
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sift together dry ingredients and add to liquid ingredients. Mix well. Bake 350 degrees for 15-22 minutes. The first time I made them they were a little overbaked (not as good as Aunt Patti's... according to Jim. I watched them closely this morning, we'll see if I can measure up!!)

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese - soft
1/2 cup butter - soft
1-2 lbs powdered sugar
It's worth it to make this instead of using it out of a can. I know, it's a little more work but SO yummy!

3 comments:

The Dickey Family said...

Thanks for the recipe! I have been looking for a homemade Red Velvet recipe....since Christmas. I can't believe that none of my cook books have one. We made Red velvet cuppcakes(box kind) last night. My question....does the cake get bright red with two Tbs of food coloring? I tried putting some in my chocolate cake at Christmas ( I thought I used a whole bottle) but it was still dark brown.

Mac and Starr said...

Sheila, look at this blog...
http://bakerella.blogspot.com/

yummy, cute desserts, I think i'm going to make some very soon!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I keep coming back to this post just to make my mouth water. Next time I have a good reason to bake- this will be it!