Thursday, February 21, 2008

School Lunches

I can't believe in such a short time how things have changed. Growing up, I HATED hot lunches. They were better in high school, but to have to have a tray lunch in elementary and Jr. High was not so great. I would have loved to have Doritos, a nice sandwich and drink and avoided the hot lunch line every day. In my opinion, it was a waste of food since the majority of it ended up in the trash.
In our house, we don't fight about much... even having a teen and pre-teen, the tension level is fairly low. Except when it comes to hot lunches. Our boys love hot lunch. In my mind, they're too expensive. I add up the dollars in my mind and figure it would be more than $80 a month just for HOT lunches. I guess I keep thinking of the days that they were gross and a waste of money. I see my money in the trash and can't stand writing the checks for lunches. Plus, we buy all kinds of fun lunch stuff... chips, sweets, soft bread, good deli meat, lots of drinks. It's always on hand and easy to throw a quick lunch together. We allow them 2 hot lunches a week- it always seems to be more. "...but the salad bar is so good..." "but, it was tator tot Tuesday..."

Anyhow, this week Justin's sick. He can't seem to get his stomach to settle. Sunday and Monday, he was sick. Tuesday, he went to school. Make-up work is worse than missing school in the first place, so he prefers to tough it out even if he's feeling bad. Of course, hot lunch was fine- he had no problem eating it. Then, Tuesday night after eating dinner (yummy lasagne) he was sick again and lost it. Couldn't possibly have been from hot lunch, but he let me know it was dinner that made him sick. Go figure. What he doesn't know is that's not really going to help his campaign to get more lunch money.

No comments: