Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Read?

I love to read- always have. The question burning in my mind this week is, "when does a mom have time to read?" I can't figure it out. I've just checked out a great book that I've been waiting for a year to read. I couldn't get myself to pay for it (only in hardback) when it came out. I then waited for my library to get it, but that takes a while. I finally got the library here to do an intra-library loan (GREAT resource!) so, my book is from Kansas City. Jim had the great idea that reading at night might help me sleep better since I can't get my mind to shut down.


The last time I read a book was on the beach in Hawaii, and the time before that I'm sure I was nursing a baby spending 12 hrs a day in the rocking chair. I couldn't get up. This time around I'm really enjoying it, but the boys sure can pull me away from it. I tried reading in the morning and not only did I not make much progress, I didn't get anything else done. Seems if I don't run through and clean in the mornings, it doesn't happen. I've tried in the afternoon while the little guys were having a "quiet" time watching a movie. For some reason, it's really hard to read when you're interrupted every five minutes. I tried to ignore them, but in the end they won- I quit reading. Right now, I'd love to read but Coleman is still sleeping (in MY bed) and I wouldn't dare go get my book at the risk of waking him up. By the time I get to bed at night and Jim falls asleep I've make it five or ten minutes and my eyes are burning. Starting a book has helped me sleep better, but now I just want to see what happens and finish it.


My book is In An Instant- Lee & Bob Woodruff. It's about their love mixed with his journalism and being hit by an explosive in Iraq. Of course, I love journalism and a good love story. Don't tell me what happens if you read it- I'll get to the end one of these days.

This picture was his skull after the IED went off and the rocks in his skull. Absolutely amazing that he's alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched them on Oprah once he had recovered and it was a great show. You can tell they have a very loving relationship.

The Dickey Family said...

During their naptime is a good time...just keep that book close!! Sometimes I have hard time sleeping when I have been to busy or have just had too much interaction with people during the day. My mind wants to replay every conversation. A friend of mine suggested journaling before bed and I have. Now I mostly make sure I have time to relax and wind down. "Battlefield of the Mind" by Joyce Myer has also helped me to just "turn it off". :)