Thursday, December 9, 2010

a couple COOL things

There is a lot that we just don't get over here. I'm sure it's part of any culture- simply differences we have to adjust to since we're in a foreign country. I don't get why there is NO storage over here. Maybe the reason IKEA is so big. Not even a cupboard under the bathroom sink and NO built-in closets. I don't get it. There is a big problem with mold in bathrooms since they don't have fans. I guess you're supposed to keep the window cracked, but I don't get why they don't just put in a simple fan. The hotel we stayed at was nice, but the mold in the bathroom was awful. So gross to me. On the flip side, we've already discovered a few cool things they do over here.
** Blinds are on the outside of the houses. What a cool idea especially since I HATE dusting blinds. Jim loves it because they make the room super dark when you close them- better chances of Coleman & Caden sleeping past the crack of dawn. Of course, it's already super dark right now being winter, but I'm sure we'll love it even more once we have a little daylight again.
** The windows are pretty cool. It's a litle hard to see from this photo but, if you turn the handle upward- it cracks the window open from the top. (handy in the moisture-trapped bathrooms) It seems almost as if it's going to fall out of the frame. Turn the handle to the side and the window opens all the way, just like a door opens on the hinges. Super nice to clean them- especially the 2nd and 3rd stories of most houses. Handle straight down locks the window shut. I still have to think before opening a window... every single time... but think they're pretty cool.
** Toilets are mounted to the wall, not the floor. Why? So you can clean under them. I love this idea- especially with a house of boys who sometimes miss the toilet. I especially love this idea with four toilets to keep clean in this house. No more nasty screws to clean on the floor or the stupid plastic screw covers that NEVER seem to stay on to hide them. Oh, I LOVE clean bathrooms.
** Continuing with the bathroom, we have super cool towel-drying racks in our bathrooms. You adjust the heat with the twist of the knob. Turn it on a little when you get in the shower and you have a warm towel to dry off with. Hang your towel up after use and it drys quickly. Cool idea.
** They use duvets rather than heavy quilts. At least at the hotel they did. Makes sense especially when you consider washing the lightweight cover would be much quicker and use less electricity. Again, that conservative lifestyle Germans live. On the down side- NO sheets - just a bottom sheet and the duvet. This drove me crazy at the hotel since I ended up in the crack every night. For our bed, we had two singles squished together, then each our own duvet. Since clean, crisp sheets are on my top 5 FAVORITE things in LIFE, I don't see giving them up any time soon. Also, I love my blankets... but, the duvet thing is a cool idea. I'm sure I'll be adding to this list...

No comments: